I swear to abide by all the requirements attendant

< Previous | Next >

lhworld

Korean
What does this sentence mean? Can someone please explain to me in a easier way?

I swear to abide by all the requirements attendant to the dignity of my rank.

thank you!

• lhworld

Korean
    ohh another korean friend of mine has asked me this sentence..so I don't have a full text with me unfortunately. =(

EStjarn

Spanish
    The topic sentence is a translation of a line from the oath sworn by new soldiers in the Swiss Guard, a small force responsible for the safety of the Pope and the security of the Apostolic Palace, serving as the de facto military of Vatican City. Here's the full oath from the 2008 ceremony:

"I vow to faithfully, honestly and honourably serve the reigning Pope Benedict XVI and his legitimate successors, and to dedicate myself to them with all my strength, ready to sacrifice, should it become necessary, even my own life for them. I likewise assume this promise toward the members of the Sacred College of Cardinals during the period of the Sede Vacante of the Apostolic See. Furthermore, I pledge to the Commandant and to my other superiors respect, fidelity, and obedience. I swear to abide by all the requirements attendant to the dignity of my rank."
    I'd paraphrase the topic sentence as: 'I swear to conform to all the demands related to the importance of my position.'

I can see two ways in which 'the dignity of my rank' can be understood here:

1) My rank is dignified. (A number of requirements comes with this dignity. Even regarding my behavior outside duty hours.)

2) The dignity depends on my rank: the higher my rank, the greater the dignity. (With different dignities come different requirements.)

I can't say which one of these is intended here. (Perhaps the German version of the oath may reveal it.)

< Previous | Next >