I take a back seat to no one

LQZ

Mandarin
Senator Jim Webb, Democrat of Virginia and a Vietnam veteran, has asked that Congress review the proposal before it takes effect. “I take a back seat to no one in my concern for our veterans,” Mr. Webb said in a floor statement in May. “But I do think we need to have practical, proper procedures.” ---taken from the NYT

Dear all,

I did look up in dictionaries and search at this forum, but I still have trouble understanding "take a back seat to no one". Does it mean that I am as much concered about our veterans as others? May I have your opinons? Thanks.

LQZ

• sdgraham

USA English
    This is a common metaphor meaning here that "nobody cares more about veterans than I."

The metaphor, I think, stems from the practice (at least in the U.S.) of low-ranking people being seated in the rear of buses, etc. and senior and otherwise distinguished people sitting in the front..

LQZ

Mandarin
    This is a common metaphor meaning here that "nobody cares more about veterans than I."

The metaphor, I think, stems from the practice (at least in the U.S.) of low-ranking people being seated in the rear of buses, etc. and senior and otherwise distinguished people sitting in the front..
    Thank you, sdgraham. I've got it. :)

< Previous | Next >