I take/have milk every night

Roymalika

Punjabi
I take/have milk every night.

I am talking about my daily routine. I drink milk at 10 pm before going to bed.

Would it be correct to use "have" or "take" to mean drinking the milk?

• Roymalika

Punjabi
    I read someone's comment on the internet regarding the use of 'take' and 'drink'.
    They said:
    If something is hot, we consume it in sips/intervals, i.e. tea, soup or other hot beverages. So we should use "take" for it. If something is not hot, we consume it in one gulp, or the most of it at a time. So we should use "drink" for it.
    i.e. all cold beverages.

What would you say about the rule?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Never heard such a rule. "Someone on the internet" is not very helpful as a "source". Do you know anything about this person? Is it possible that this person speaks Indian English in a usage that is absent in AE and BE?

Roymalika

Punjabi
    Do you know anything about this person? Is it possible that this person speaks Indian English in a usage that is absent in AE and BE?
    I just know that the person making the comment was a Pakistani (perhaps he was a teacher).
    Many other English teachers in Pakistan also teach this rule to the students.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I just know that the person making the comment was a Pakistani (perhaps he was a teacher).
    Many other English teachers in Pakistan also teach this rule to the students.
    Sounds like an "Indian/Pakistani English" "rule". In times gone by an upper class person might well have said to the servant responsible "We will take tea in the conservatory at 3 pm today, please, Jeeves" but that refers to the whole "meal" not just the drinking operation. Some of the English terms usage from those days (of the British Empire) persist in the Indian subcontinent but not in BE any more.