I teach ESL on the internet (or online).

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was recently thinking of how to say "I teach ESL on the internet (or online)." in Chinese.
Would you say 我在网上(在线?)教"非母语英语教学" or 我在网上教"英语作为第二语言"? or something else?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
  • rickqin

Mandarin
    教(as a verb) + object[+complement,if any]

So, let's see the following examples,
    教 + ()语 => teach the language which is used among English(American) people.
    教 + ()语 => teach the language which is used among French people.
    教 + (英语是第二)语 => Mandarine speakers may wonder what "英语是第二" is.

Here, you may have two options to make the sentence more clear.
    1. I teach the "English Is The Second Language" program online.
    2. I am the teacher of the "English Is The Second Language" online program. (Imply that you can teach the program)
    Otherwise, you need to keep the "ESL" as it is. I mean, the abbreviation form.
    For example,
    我(通过在线方式)教授ESL。
    or
    我是ESL的老师。

In addition, Mandarin speakers are used to naming something/somebody with nouns or the composition of determiner and noun(s).
    As a result, “英语是第二”语 doesn't conform to the rules of naming shown above.

hx1997

汉语普通话 Chinese - Mandarin
    ESL is not a well-known thing among common people in China, and using the translation of its full name sounds very awkward. You'll probably have to refer to it by "ESL" and then explain what it is, unless you are sure the person you're talking to is familiar with it.

j29682896

Taiwan - Mandarin Chinese
    I think simply saying 我在線上教英文。 would suffice. Hearing this, people(at least here, and I guess even across the world?) would presume that you teach ESL online. I am not sure if it's common for native English speakers to learn English online. Of course, it's nothing wrong with a longer version like what Simon (#2) suggests.

Last edited:

yuechu

Canada, English
    Hi, j29682896!

Yes, if someone is teaching English online, it is normally ESL (but teaching ELA (English language arts--for native speakers) is also possible... especially during COVID where a lot of courses are taught online!).

Thanks for your suggestion! :)

j29682896

Taiwan - Mandarin Chinese
    I see. I just searched for English language arts. And it's for students whose native language is English. It's something I didn't know. Thank you for the information, yuechu.

Last edited:

yuechu

Canada, English
    I know that some technological terms are different between Mainland China, Taiwan (and Hong Kong?).
    Is 在网上 more common in 大陆 and 在线上 (Is "上" optional here?) in 台湾? or are both terms used in both places?

Thanks! :)