I tell/am telling him that he should go

Arkalai

English- British
Hello,

I am unsure about how to express should here. I want to say debería but I also know that an indirect command needs the subjunctive. Does it apply in this case? But at the same time, how else does one distinguish between should as in 'must' vs. 'ought to; it would be beneficial to'?

Le digo que (él) deba irse.
Le digo que (él) debería irse.

• chamyto

Spanish
    Hello,

I am unsure about how to express should here. I want to say debería but I also know that an indirect command needs the subjunctive. Does it apply in this case? But at the same time, how else does one distinguish between should as in 'must' vs. 'ought to; it would be beneficial to'?

Le digo que (él) debe irse.

In most cases ought to and should are similar in meaning and express a suggestion. Must expresses a strong obligation, in most cases imposed by something that is "outdoor" ( law, a boss, etc ) .

When it comes to the use of the subjunctive here, we would never use it in this context.

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    I think you could also say "Le estoy diciendo / Le digo que sería mejor si se fuera." It depends on what you want to convey by "should."

chamyto

Spanish
    I think you could also say "Le estoy diciendo / Le digo que sería mejor si se fuera." It depends on what you want to convey by "should."
    Yes, this is indeed somehow like an order, instead of a suggestion. We can say as well:
    Le estoy diciendo que sería mejor que se fuera.

Last edited:

chileno

Castellano - Chile
    Hello,

Le digo que (él) debe irse.
    Just FYI ;)

< Previous | Next >