I tell myself that (...)

< Previous | Next >

Stephanagreg

FRANCE FRENCH
Hello,

Funny that Google seems to imply that this expression, used to describe an interior deliberation, far more often appears as "I tell myself that (...)" and not "I am telling myself that (...)".

Of course, it all depends on the context in which you use it, but, referring to your present state or feelings and your inner cogitations, would you use "I am telling myself (...)" or "I tell myself (...) " - or is it really only a matter of context?

Many thanks

• Gordonedi

UK (Scotland) English
    Stephanagreg said:
    Hello,

Funny that Google seems to imply that this expression, used to describe an interior deliberation, far more often appears as "I tell myself that (...)" and not "I am telling myself that (...)".

Of course, it all depends on the context in which you use it, but, referring to your present state or feelings and your inner cogitations, would you use "I am telling myself (...)" or "I tell myself (...) " - or is it really only a matter of context?

Many thanks
    I think that the choice of phrase depends more upon where it is written rather than the situation it is describing.

If I was reading it, I would expect to see either
    "I tell myself that"
    as in "I see two policemen running towards me, but I tell myself that they're not looking for me and keep walking."
    or
    "I keep telling myself that"
    as in "I keep telling myself that unless I eat less chocolate I will never lose weight, but it's hopeless."

In the first example, because the event is in present-tense reported speech the phrase is still "I tell myself" rather than "I am telling myself".

I cannot think of an example when I would use "I am telling myself", but other Forum friends are often more inventive than I am.

G
    :)

Stephanagreg

FRANCE FRENCH
    Very interesting. Thanks a lot, Gordonedi. (It is sweet to get a whiff of air from Edinburgh - not that far from the Dalveen pass)

< Previous | Next >