I think I'm coming down with something.

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, if you feel unwell, you say in English: I am coming down with something. What do you say in colloquial Russian? Just out of curiosity Czechs say (literal translation: something is creeping onto me). So maybe you use something similar in Russian, no? Thanks. Enco from Prague.

• Encolpius

Hungarian
    What do you think about ка́жется, я что-то подхватил. or кажется, у меня что-то начинается.
    Briefly nothing I had been expecting. Fine. No problem. We do not have it in Hungarian either.

Budspok

Russian-Lübertsy
    Both ка́жется, я что-то подхватил and кажется, у меня что-то начинается sound quite fine. Though the former is mostly applied to infections but it's not strict.

Last edited:

nizzebro

Russian
    What do you think about ка́жется, я что-то подхватил. or кажется, у меня что-то начинается.
    "кажется, у меня что-то начинается" is fine when accompanied by a context that references the notion of, say, catching cold; otherwise it sounds ambiguous.
    "я что-то подхватил" is about something viral and common like flu (there's also подцепил which, to me, sounds more like something unpleasant - a skin or venereal desease. Also, you can mark it generally as "я чем-то заразился".

Last edited: