I thought someone would be waiting for me when I <arrive><arrived> tomorrow

boggiee

Turkish
Hello,

- I thought someone would be waiting for me when I arrive tomorrow.

- I thought someone would be waiting for me when I arrived tomorrow.

- I thought I could do my homework before my father arrive here tomorrow.

- I thought I could do my homework before my father arrived here tomorrow.

I have been confused about whether I must used 'arrive' or 'arrived' in the second part of the sentence. Which one seem more suitable? My opinion is the second and fourth one, but not sure.
:(

Thanks in advance.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Sentences 1, 2 and 4 are correct. In sentence 3 you should just add an 's' - 'before my father arrives...' I agree that the issue is dabatable. :D

Kirill V.

Russian
    The usual point of disagreement seems to be this:
    Suppose my father is arriving tomorrow, and I am talking to a friend of mine trying to say (with a certain degree of doubt) that I probably can do my homework before the father arrives, then wouldn't it be more "natural" to say:
    I thought I could do my homework before my father arrives here tomorrow (but now I doubt I really could manage that)

Kirill V.

Russian
    The usual point of disagreement seems to be this:
    Suppose my father is arriving tomorrow, and I am talking to a friend of mine trying to say (with a certain degree of doubt) that I probably can do my homework before the father arrives, then wouldn't it be more "natural" to say:
    I thought I could do my homework before my father arrives here tomorrow (but now I doubt I really could manage that)
    Cross-posted with boozer

sound shift

English - England
    - I thought someone would be waiting for me when I arrive tomorrow.
    This would work for me in certain contexts, eg:
    Four days ago, someone told me, "There will be someone waiting for you when you arrive", but today that same person said, "When you arrive, you'll have to get a taxi". In those circumstances I could reply, "I thought someone would be waiting for me when I arrive tomorrow."

Kirill V.

Russian
    All we need to re-ignate this discussion with full force is someone who chooses to be on the safe side of it and argues that rules must be obeyed and therefore tenses must be agreed :)

Last edited:

Ivan_I

Russian
    What about this:

I thought someone WILL be waiting for me when I arrive tomorrow.
    Sentences 1, 2 and 4 are correct.
    Surprise, surprise! I didn't know that two is correct. What's the point in using 'when I arrivED tomorrow. "

Is it a subjunctive mood? Does the speaker think they might not arrive tomorrow?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    What about this:

I thought someone WILL be waiting for me when I arrive tomorrow.

Surprise, surprise! I didn't know that two is correct. What's the point in using 'when I arrivED tomorrow. "

Is it a subjunctive mood? Does the speaker think they might not arrive tomorrow?
    No, it's not a subjunctive: it's just an ordinary standard backshifting as used in reported speech.

I thought someone would be waiting for me when I arrived tomorrow

As it stands, it suggests nothing about whether somebody actually was waiting for you when you eventually arrived.

Ivan_I

Russian
    No, it's not a subjunctive: it's just an ordinary standard backshifting as used in reported speech.

I thought someone would be waiting for me when I arrived tomorrow.

As it stands, it suggests nothing about whether somebody actually was waiting for you when you eventually arrived.
    I see. I am just used to using "actual" tenses, that is, those corresponding with tomorrow, in such cases. I mean "tomorrow" is in actual future so "when I arrive" chimes with the present simple better, in my view.

PS: By the way, I would expect this: I thought someone would be waiting for me when I arrived tomorrow/the next day.

< Previous | Next >