I understand and As far as I know

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
Hello,

Customs officer: So far, your friend is unable to demonstrate that she has sufficient financial resources.

Interviewee: We don't need to carry much money as backpackers, and we have friends in Sydney who will give us accommodiation. I understand that her parents will transfer money to her if there is any emergency.

If I switched I understand to As far as I know or From what I understand, would the sentence have the same in meaning?

As far as I know, her parents will transfer money to her if there is any emergency.

From what I understand, her parents will transfer money to her if there is any emergency.

What do you think? Thank you in advance.

• zuckerman

United Kingdom English
    In the context you provide I would stick to ' I understand ', because it sounds more positive. ' I understand and believe it to be the case that...'
    To my ear ' As far as I know ' sounds more uncertain. ' As far as I know, but I could be wrong '.
    Similarly, ' From what I understand ' sounds tentative to me and also a bit awkward.
    I assume that when speaking to an immigration officer one wants to sound as clear and certain as possible!

< Previous | Next >