I usually prefer reading a book first

nkaper

russian
I just now saw this phrase in a post by one teacher of English (not a native):

"us I usually prefer reading a book first, and only then watch the screen adaptation. It gives me a chance to use my own imagination and writer's guidance while getting to know characters. .... "

The misspelling of the word 'as' perhaps may be justified by the informal tone of the phrase, but the usage of 'a' before book (instead of 'the') and the absence of any before 'writer's' seems to me grammatically wrong, something that a native wouldn't say even talking informally. I'd use 'the' in both cases, and even use 'a' rather than 'the' before 'screen adaptation'. Would that be correct?
Thanks in advance.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    You're right that it's not written perfectly. I would write

the book
    the writer's guidance
    the characters

Whether to write "the screen adaptation" or "a screen adaptation" depends on the specific context of the conversation.

I don't think native speakers of any level have much trouble figuring out when articles are required (once they're past the childhood learning phase).

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    I don't see much wrong with "a book", particularly if the emphasis is placed on "reading". "Writer's guidance" needs "the", though (I think we can dismiss the alternative, that it takes "my own"; a legitimate reading so far as the language is concerned, but nonsensical).

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The misspelling of the word 'as' perhaps may be justified by the informal tone of the phrase
    No, it is a mistake.

"As I usually prefer reading a book first, and only then watch the screen adaptation." This is a subordinate clause/ a fragment, not a sentence. It can be saved by omitting the "as".

"I usually prefer reading a book first, and only then watch the screen adaptation." is fine as it stands and does not require amendment.

A book = an example of a book
    The is justified by the fact that the screen adaptation is an adaptation of that book and no other.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Some books do have more than one adaptation. So there can be one book and multiple adaptations.

< Previous | Next >