I want someone <to> love me

< Previous | Next >

Samura

Hindi
Hello, everyone. I would like to know this:

I want people understands me. vs I want people to understand me. (Why can't we use "to " after "people?" ).

Can I say in different way like

I want people don't fight with each other.
I want people not to do fight with each other.
I want people to not do fight with each other.
don't want people fight with each other.

These all sentences give me same idea . Are there any differences? If so ,please tell me does "to" change the meaning of sentences?

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    1. I want people understands me. :cross: Vs I want people to understand me:tick:. Can I say in different way like
    2. I want people don't fight with each other. :cross: vs I want people not to do fight with each other. :cross: vs I want people to not do fight with each other. :cross: vs I don't want people fight with each other. :cross: These all sentences give me same idea . Are there any differences. if so ,please tell me ☺ does TO change the meaning of sentences?
    Only one of your sentences is grammatically correct.
    I want people to understand me.
    I want people not to fight with each other.
    I want people to not fight with each other.
    I don't want people to fight with each other.

Packard

USA, English
    It is a real struggle to read your post with everything in one paragraph. Try to re-format this and you will get more answers.

Samura

Hindi
    Only one of your sentences is grammatically correct.
    I want people to understand me.
    I want people not to fight with each other.
    I want people to not fight with each other.
    I don't want people to fight with each other.
    I want you don't do things which I have done . I got this one from a american song

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I want you don't do things which I have done . I got this one from a american song
    Even given that many song lyrics are not grammatically dorrect, it's likely you've heard this line wrong. What is the title of the song? Can you provide a link to the lyrics?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Songs almost never use correct grammar! Don't ever use English songs as examples of English grammar!

When writing words for a song (lyrics), many things are more important than grammar. The lines have to rhyme. More importantly, the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables in every word has to match the stressed and unstressed beats in the music.

Doing that is not easy. The result is usually not correct grammar.

< Previous | Next >