I want to be/get informed

Luthien17

Greek-Greece
Hi to all!

"I want to be/get informed".

Could you tell me what's the difference between them? Specifically, I've found both the phrases, but I'm not sure concerning their meaning.
As I understand it, the phrase "I want to be informed" means "I want to know about this thing in general, maybe by reading books, articles, or something".
The phrase "I want to get informed", I see it more like "I want someone to inform me about".

Thank you very much for your time! :)

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Welcome to the forum, Luthien17!

Please give us the context in which you would use the sentence, so we can give you accurate answers.

Luthien17

Greek-Greece
    Thank you for your reply, Florentia52! :)
    Well, for instance, there is someone who would like to participate in a project or an event in which experienced people are going to talk about one specific subject, like books, racism, or something. As I see it, he should say "I want to get informed (by them)" and not "I want to be informed"--> "I want to know all about books/racism".

I hope that I put it clear, because I don't speak English that well! :)

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Yes, in that situation, "I want to get informed" would be the better choice. "Get" is often used to mean "become."

"I want to be informed" would have the meaning you indicate. It is possible, though, for this sentence to have a different meaning. A supervisor might say to an employee, for example, "I want to be informed of any problems during your work shift." In that case, it means "I want you to inform me about any problems."

< Previous | Next >