Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
Thanks for reading my post.

Sample sentences:
I want to eat bananas now
Question:

Does this sentence mean I want to eat 'more than one banana' as plural objects or I want to eat 'a kind of fruit named bananas' as generalizations?

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions

• tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    Apart from the fact that forum rules require you to give context, there is the point that "I want to eat bananas [or any other fruit] now" is not a very natural sentence in English. Indeed, "I want to eat [anything]" is natural only in some contexts.

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
    Apart from the fact that forum rules require you to give context, there is the point that "I want to eat bananas [or any other fruit] now" is not a very natural sentence in English. Indeed, "I want to eat [anything]" is natural only in some contexts.
    thanks for your corrections. How about I change the sentence into 'I want bananas'?

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    "I want bananas" is a grammatically correct English sentence. There are a limited number of situations it which it could be uttered naturally.

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
    "I want bananas" is a grammatically correct English sentence. There are a limited number of situations it which it could be uttered naturally.
    Thanks for your opinion. 'i want bananas' with 'bananas' as a generalization is grammatically correct but semantically unnatural, so I think I should use 'I want a banana/some bananas' for whatever reasons.

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
    Please give us some context. What situation do you have in mind in which you might say 'I want a/some/bananas'?
    Actually I don't have any in mind. I'm trying to figure out whether 'bananas' in 'I want bananas' can be a generic noun which represents a whole class of things. But now I realize as Tunnafi said, there's not many real life situations where we can use the sentence to make generalizations. So I think I just skip it. Could you think of any situations?

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Usually we don't eat generalizations.

But obviously in statements like the following we refer to bananas in general;

Bananas are the most popular fruit in the USA.

Bananas are the cheapest fruit in the USA.

The price of bananas is increasing next month

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
    Usually we don't eat generalizations.

But obviously in statements like the following we refer to bananas in general;

Bananas are the most popular fruit in the USA.

Bananas are the cheapest fruit in the USA.

The price of bananas is increasing next month
    Thanks for your answers. If we don't eat generalizations, can we sell them? like my shop sells bananas

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I want to eat (some) bananas now.

I might not use "some", but it would depend on the context. "Bananas" does perhaps sound more general, and it's more difficult for me to imagine a context.

Strawberries? No, I feel like eating bananas right now; lots and lots of them.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    The lack of context for the original sentence has led the discussion to wander, so I am closing the thread. Thank you to all who participated.

Florentia52, moderator

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >