I want to go up/down

Ana Yelena

English
How does one say "up" or "down" in the direction sense. For example, "I want to go up." or "I want to go down." Are these correct?
我 想 去上。
我 想 去 下。

Or better yet, how does one say "Pick me up!" or "Put me down!"

Thanks. AY

• xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    I see those question marks as:

我 想 去上。
    我 想 去 下。

But that is from another forum!:D It must have had something to do with the encoding but I don't know how that came about.

Anyway, to Ana Yelena: the simplest correction for the sentences may be as follows:

我 想 上去。
    我 想 下去。

Ana Yelena

English
    谢谢大家.
    Continuing this thread, would it be correct for a child who wanted to be picked up to say,
    抱抱,起来. Bao4bao4, qi3 lai2. And for a child to say, 抱抱,下去, bao4bao4 xia3 qu4 to get put back down?
    Thanks again.
    AY

Ana Yelena

English
    Avlee,

Thank you for all your help. Still confused over one thing though. How is it that, "Put me down!" is 放我下来 and not 放我下去? I think of meaning "to go away from" and meaning “to come towards”. Though maybe I do not understand well.

AY

jedediah

China, Chinese
    Avlee,

Thank you for all your help. Still confused over one thing though. How is it that, "Put me down!" is 放我下来 and not 放我下去? I think of meaning "to go away from" and meaning “to come towards”. Though maybe I do not understand well.

AY
    I'd say you are right, AY. My first impression was "放我下去" as well.

But in defense of avlee :) "Put me down" actually can either be "放我下来" or "放我下去." Say if one is left alone at an elevated place, he might say "Put me down" to ask for assistance on (or permission for) getting down to the ground. In this case, it would be "放(抱)我下来." While if a child has been in your arms for quite a while, she might say "Put me down" to mean "放我下去." What I am saying is that the reference point is important for choosing the right words. Other than that, you've got it all right.:)

谢谢大家.
    Continuing this thread, would it be correct for a child who wanted to be picked up to say,
    抱抱,起来. Bao4bao4, qi3 lai2. And for a child to say, 抱抱,下去, bao4bao4 xia3 qu4 to get put back down?
    Thanks again.
    AY
    For a child, it's acceptable though good parenting in Chinese culture means that should be corrected. It I could be wrong on the second part.:rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >