I want to sign up for the swimming lessons this summer.

< Previous | Next >

loureed4

Spanish
Hi,

I am studying the verb "sign up" versus "enroll", and I am struggling a little. I was wondering this:

"I want to sign up for the swimming lessons this summer." . ¿Could I use "enroll in/on/for" ?. I have just read that "enroll in" is BrE, whereas "Enroll for/on" is AmE.

Thanks in advance! :)

• Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    You could say "I want to enrol for (the) swimming lessons this summer"

(Use "the" only if you are talking about specific swiming lessons, rather than swimming lessons in general)

I don't know if what you say about BrE and AmE is true, but personally, I would use "sign up for" a lot more often than "enrol for".

PS. Happy Feria! :D

Last edited:

loureed4

Spanish
    So, they are perfectly interchangeable in this context? , well I would say so from your great explanation.

Thanks a lot Tegs! (and thanks for the tip about "the").

P.S: Happy Feria? How do you know?!! hehe . Thanks!

Linkway

British English
    "I want to sign up for swimming lessons this summer."
    --- This works well. 'sign up for' sounds less formal than 'enrol'. 'Enrol' would be more appropriate in you were joining a university.
    In the above, I dropped 'the' because I just meant some/any swimming lessons somewhere.

If I had some certain lessons in mind I might include 'the'.
    "I see you have yoga on Tuesdays, swimming on Wednesdays, and French lessons on Thursdays. I want to sign up for the swimming lessons (i.e. the specific ones that the centre offers) this summer."

In British English, someone would usually enrol on a course, or enrol at an institution such as a college/university, or enrol in a subject, or enrol as a student (or other capacity).

Sometimes, we use 'enrol' without a preposition. e.g. John has gone to Birmingham University today to enrol. Mary enrolled yesterday.

In American English, the spelling is 'enroll' and I'll leave others to advise on 'in' and 'on' etc.

loureed4

Spanish
    Wow! , this explanation of yours is impressive and really, really helpful. :)

I really appreciate Linkway, it´s been very kind of you.!

< Previous | Next >