" I want us all to have been dealt a complex hand that will send me and all of us in a good loop for a long time."

prometheus94

korean
Maria Spiropulu, a professor of physics at the California Institute of Technology and a member of one of the discovery teams, said to the New York Times: “I personally do not want [the new particle] to be Standard Model anything—I don’t want it to be simple or symmetric or as predicted. I want us all to have been dealt a complex hand that will send me and all of us in a good loop for a long time.”
Question) I don't understand the meaning of the sentence "I want us all to have been dealt a complex hand that will send me and all of us in a good loop for a long time." What is meant by "be dealt a complex hand", "send somebody in a good loop"?

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    "To be dealt a hand" is an expression from card games such as poker. You can be dealt a good hand or a bad hand ("hand" means the cards you have been given). Here this is used as a metaphor. She wants the outcome of this discovery to be difficult and complicated, not simple and easy. That way they (physicists) will be faced with new questions that cannot be answered without doing many more decades of research. This is the "good loop": There will be plenty of research jobs, not only for them, but also for future generations of physicists.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Be dealt a hand' is from card games. The metaphor is: Nature deals you cards (the new particles). You don't choose them, but now have to play them. 'A good loop' is something like a good, long, complicated path.

cross-posted

prometheus94

korean
    "To be dealt a hand" is an expression from card games such as poker. You can be dealt a good hand or a bad hand ("hand" means the cards you have been given). Here this is used as a metaphor. She wants the outcome of this discovery to be difficult and complicated, not simple and easy. That way they (physicists) will be faced with new questions that cannot be answered without doing many more decades of research. This is the "good loop": There will be plenty of research jobs, not only for them, but also for future generations of physicists.
    Thank You, Edinburgher. You are so helpful to me.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    The metaphors are mixed, of course, and this is usually a sign that the person using them isn't imagining the figure itself.

Mixed metaphors often leave the listeners or readers puzzled.

< Previous | Next >