I want your closet to be 'baller'

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
I would like to know the exact meaning of the word "baller" in the following context. I would be appreciative if you could tell me whether it is used appropriately.

I went to a men's wearhouse and a wardrobe consultant (20 something) approached me and said " I want your closet to be baller." I am pretty positive that he said "baller."

I looked it up at urbandictionary, but it says that it usually describes a person who is successful and proficient in certain things.

• Sharifa345

USA
    US English, DR Spanish
    Hehe. That's really informal for a sales associate, but yes as your definition implied, a baller is a person who is successful, but also means that the person is very wealthy. So if your closet is "baller" you have a lot of fine clothing in it.

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Thank you sharif and ribran for your kindness and help. If I may, would you mind telling me the reason why it is "really informal" for a sales associate to say that? Also, what's funny? Humor is always hard for a non-native speaker.

Myridon

English - US
    The phrase originates from African American slang. The origin refers to someone who has made their way out of poverty through professional sports, primarily basketball or football (American football). The word is fine in the lyrics of a rap song, but I wouldn't expect a salesman to use it with a customer.

< Previous | Next >