I was fucking high

< Previous | Next >
  • Manuel_M

Maltese
    This phrase forms part of the lyrics of You're Beautiful by James Blunt, which was No.1 in the British pop music charts a few weeks ago. Actually there are two versions of this song, - identical except for the substitution of 'flying high' for 'fucking high', in one of them. The lyrics are available on http://www.letssingit.com/?/james-blunt-youre-beautiful-kxwx71t.html.

Translating 'high' in the emotional sense e` un bel problema. We had this discussion some three months ago - and I don't think we managed to come up with a satisfactory equivalent term in Italian. "Fucking" in this context is an adverb which literally translate as 'fottutamente'. 'High' could probably be taken to mean 'excited' or 'stimulated'. Therefore fottutamente emozionato? or, perhaps, fottutamente eccitato? Or even plain emozionatissimo/eccitatissimo?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I looked at the lyrics.
    "High" almost certainly means under the influence of drugs, not (necessarily) an emotional high.
    "F@#~ing" is used for meaningless emphasis.

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    Manuel_M said:
    Translating 'high' in the emotional sense e` un bel problema. We had this discussion some three months ago - and I don't think we managed to come up with a satisfactory equivalent term in Italian. "Fucking" in this context is an adverb which literally translate as 'fottutamente'. 'High' could probably be taken to mean 'excited' or 'stimulated'. Therefore fottutamente emozionato? or, perhaps, fottutamente eccitato? Or even plain emozionatissimo/eccitatissimo?
    What about "su di giri"? I've heard it used in Italian to refer to the (pretty dramatc) highs alternating with lows in manic depression(bipolar disorder).

"F***ing" can pose a real problem for dialoghisti. The trouble is - in uneducated speech it is used quite liberally in front of nouns, names, adjectives, nouns, adverbs: "F***ing Chuck was f***ing late for the f***ing third time since he f***ing started this f***ing job"(Panj, I hope this is a realistic example).

When I watched "The Commitments" in Italian the dialoghisti had gone over the top using "f*****issimo", "f***uto", "quel c***o di" and so on. But in Italian these expletives are in no way used as often as "f****ing" is in "lout-speech":) . So the dialoghi sounded unnatural - at least to me.

Carlo

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Please note for future:
    Discussion of offensive words and phrases is permitted, but the conversation must remain respectful and serious. Moderators may choose to close or delete threads that they consider to be objectionable. Do not place offensive words in the title of the thread.
    from WR rules.
    This discussion has been serious. There is no issue about that. The title of the thread has been changed. Many members find the term offensive, and standing by itself in a forum menu, it is neither instructive nor educational.

Grazie,
    Cuchuflete

Manuel_M

Maltese
    panjandrum said:
    I looked at the lyrics.
    "High" almost certainly means under the influence of drugs, not (necessarily) an emotional high.
    "F@#~ing" is used for meaningless emphasis.
    I know this song well. My understanding is that the that the lyrics refer an emotional and not a substance-induced high.

I would leave personallu opt for the eccitatissimo as translation for the phrase in question.

Alfry

Italian
    "ero sballatissimo/a" credo che vada bene;
    tra ero e sballatissimo si potrebbe aggiungere una parola abbastanza colorita per enfatizzarne il senso e rendere la traduzione più simile al testo in inglese.

se non si vuole essere necessariamente volgari allora ero davvero sballato/a può andare.

se invece il suo significato tende a spiegare uno stato emozionale non indotto da uso di droghe allora si potrebbe usare
    "ero su di giri (euforico)" con le stesse considerazioni sulla parola colorita tra "ero" e "su di giri (euforico/a)" oppure ero eccessivamente su di giri(euforico/a)

Silvia

Italian
    Ciao Gianluca, credo di avere la soluzione per tagliar la testa al toro (figurativamente s'intende!).

She could see from my face that I was,
    fucking high

Poteva capire, dalla mia faccia, che ero
    fuori di brutto

Fortunatamente non si tratta di un adattamento, perciò non dobbiamo far combaciare il labiale.

Credo che la mia soluzione caschi a pennello, perché non si può stabilire con certezza perché uno è fuori, di brutto come rafforzativo slang va benissimo.

Alfry

Italian
    si, d'accordissimo.
    A dire il vero si posson trovare molte soluzioni. Dipende dall'accuratezza e dal motivo per la quale la traduzione viene richiesta.

< Previous | Next >