I was happy as heck

jacdac

Lebanese
‘Last week, I was at Miranda’s. She’s the woman I’ve been sleeping with. We did it in the kitchen. We did it in her bedroom. We almost managed a third time in the shower. I was happy as heck! Endorphins!
Source: Sleeping Beatles by Stephen King et al.
Context: Montpelier is speaking to Dr Norcorsa about his descriptor 'sex ambition'.

I was happy as heck = I was happy as hell, right? as heck is used for emphasis, right?

Thank you.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Yes, "heck" is used for emphasis.

There is a peculiarity in the use by an adult of the phrase "happy as heck": The use of the much milder profanity "heck" instead of "hell," particularly when it's already an "adult" conversation, is almost jarring.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    when it's already an "adult" conversation, is almost jarring.
    This is the image that comes to my mind when I hear "heck":

Phil, the Prince of Insufficient Light is the ruler of Heck and the Pointy-Haired Boss's brother. As the ruler of heck, he "darns" people who commit minor infractions, such as taking two ketchup packets when you only need one, or borrowing copier paper for the laser printer. His darnings include equally minor punishments, such as sitting in the secretary's cubicle or being stuck with an annoying coworker for hours.
    Phil, the Prince of Insufficient Light

< Previous | Next >