I was homeschooled

< Previous | Next >

KennyHun

Hungarian
What if there is an object (the person being homeschooled), e.g. "I was homeschooled for half a year." - "J'ai été scolarisé à domicile pendant six mois." ? "Mes parents ont assuré mon éducation à domcile/à la maison..." What would you say in informal French to describe this ?

• J'étais déscolarisé pendant six mois.
    J'étais enseigné à la maison pendant six mois.
    "Mes parents ont assuré mon éducation à domcile/à la maison..." seems good to me too.
    This is super-rare in France, though so it's very likely that you will have to explain.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Homeschooling (enseignement ou instruction à domicile) increasingly frequent in the US, has an organized, structured curriculum that is recognized as valid although takes place at home instead of in an institution.

Déscolarisé
    would not work for homeschooled, because it suggests you aren't getting any schooling (i.e., your behavior or your health keeps you at home and not pursuing a structured education).

Nautilia02

French
    "J'ai été scolarisé à domicile pendant six mois." is the correct way, it's neither formal or informal.

You can't say "j'ai été enseigné à la maison" because you can't use the passive for "enseigner".

yuechu

Canada, English
    Would "J'ai été éduqué à domicile" and "J'ai été instruit à domicile" also sound ok?
    Merci d'avance ! :)

hersko1

French - France
    Would "J'ai été éduqué à domicile" and "J'ai été instruit à domicile" also sound ok?
    Merci d'avance ! :)
    Not really, sorry.
    "Eduqué" refers to the way you behave, if you're polite and such. "Cet enfant est bien éduqué" means "This kid is well-mannered".
    "Instruit" is weird and I can't say why. Doesn't it sound weird in English too, if I say "I have been instructed at home" ?
    No, definitely, I would go for "J'ai été scolarisé à la maison pendant six mois" or "J'ai suivi un enseignement à distance pendant six mois"

yuechu

Canada, English
    Thank you for your help, Hersko1 and Tartopom! :)

OK! Good to know! I thought that they might not be correct but just wanted to check.
    The reason I mentioned "éduqué à domicile" is because the Wordreference dictionary translates "home-school" as "éduquer [qqn] à domicile". So I guess this is ok in the active voice but not the passive voice, right?

Doesn't it sound weird in English too, if I say "I have been instructed at home" ?
    It does indeed... but I thought it might be possible since "instruire" can sometimes mean "educate" according to the Wordreference dictionary.

Merci à tous les deux !

< Previous | Next >