I was in class of 2012 (referencing school/military)

< Previous | Next >

Messquito

Chinese - Taiwan 中文 Taiwanese Hokkien 臺語
So you just met a new friend who you really like, and somewhere in the conversation you bring up the fact that you 1. have joined the military and trained in [insert place name] or 2. went to [insert school name] High school.
Your new found friend replies, "Oh my god, me, too!"
Suddenly, you realize that you and your new friend could have been on the same campus/base in the same period of time and somehow have never talked to or even remembered each other.
But hold on, you have to first identify which year and which division you were in in order to find out.
What do you say to reference them?

In American English, I think it would go like this: (as I'm not so sure, correct me if I'm wrong)
For military:
I was in class(?) of 2000, 2nd squad, 1st platoon, Echo Company. How about you?:)confused:)
I was in class(?) of 2000, too. We were classmates!
For school:
I was in class of 2002. What year class were you in? :)confused:)
Same, we were classmates!

In Taiwanese Chinese:
For military:
我是第353(or梯次)的。第五連(company)第一排(platoon)第二班(squad)。你呢?
(I was in batch of 353, 2nd squad, 1st platoon, 5th Company. You?)
我也是353梯(or梯次)的。我們同屆耶!
(I was in batch(?) of 353. too. We were batchmates(?)!)
梯(or梯次(ti1tsi4) refers to a group of people joining the same program at the same time. As opposed to marking each 梯次 by the year it happens, we reference them with ordinal numbers that are counted from one. So 第一(first)梯次 would be the first group of recruits. I don't know if there is a culturally appropriate translation in English, so I settled with batch.
For class:
我是第六十六十一的。
(I was in class 11 of the 66th year.)
我是第六十六屆十二班。我們同屆耶,而且還是隔壁班。
(I was in class 12 of the 66th year. We were batchmates(?) and neighbors(?)!)
A (ban1)(or 班級)(roughly translated as a 'class' because a class(班級) of students take the same classes(課程) together) is a division of students that, with few exceptions, take the same classes throughout the week.
A (jie4) is used to count periods of time where a certain group of people take on a new role. So 本學校的第一屆學生(The first 屆 of students of our school.) means the first group of people that become students in this school.
Usually, one 屆(jie4) consists of 4-50 班(ban1) of students, depending on how big the school is. That is unlike in the US, where there is one class of students for each year.

Last edited:
  • In Greek we use the feminine «κλάση» [ˈkla.si] --> class, league < Byz. Gr. 3rd declension fem. «κλάσ(σ)ις» klás(s)is (nom. sing.), «κλάσ(σ)εως» klás(s)eōs (gen. sing.) which was military language and described the calling to arms (in case of hostile invasion) < Lat. classis.
    So, in my civilian life, I personally am «κλάση 1987» (I finished my secondary education which is mandatory in Greece, in 1987).

In Greek military language things are a bit complicated.
    First things first, as you may know, military service is compulsory in Greece for every male 19 yo and above.
    Each male citizen belongs to a class, which is defined by the year he is called to do the service. So (if we take me as an example) I was born in 1970, my (military) class is 1989. I'm «κλάση 1989».
    However, I decided to pursue a degree in higher education, so I applied for and received a four-year deferment from the draft, to finish university. For personal reasons in 1991, I decided I'll do my compulsory military service and continue my studies later, so, I was drafted in 1991 for a 17-month military service.
    This defined my «ΕΣΣΟ» which is the Greek acronym for Conscript Soldier Training Course. I joined the military in January of 1991 thus I am «1991 Α' ΕΣΣΟ» (1991 1st CSTC). Each year four (A' B' C' D' one every three months) CSTC's are called.
    But...
    Unofficially, each CSTC bears a number that -according to tradition- started immediately after the liberation of Greece from the Axis occupation in 1944-45: The males of ΕΣΣΟ 1945 A' (January 1945 Conscript Soldier Training Course) who served the re-established military of the newly-liberated Greek Kingdom, were named "course 1".
    So, I am:
    «Κλάση 1987» (civilian life).
    «Κλάση 1989» (the year I'm eligible for compulsory military service).
    «1991 Α' ΕΣΣΟ» (official military designation).
    «210 course» (unofficial numbering since 1945).
    Hope it makes sense :)

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    In American English, I think it would go like this: (as I'm not so sure, correct me if I'm wrong)
    For military:
    I was in the class of 2000, 2nd squad, 1st platoon, Echo Company. How about you?:)confused:)
    I was in the class of 2000, too. We were classmates!
    For school:
    I was in the class of 2002. What year class were you in? What year were you in? :)confused:)
    Same, we were classmates!
    Adding the article sounds much better. I was in the class of 2000

< Previous | Next >