I was looking at the car having stood there for 10 years.

slovac

Could you advise me please, I would like to express that I was looking at the car. That car had been standing there for 10 years. Could I express it as follows:
I was looking at the car having stood there for 10 years.
Thank you.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The problem with your version, Slovac, is that it's ambiguous; it's not clear, grammatically, whether the car has been standing there for 10 years, or the speaker has been standing there for 10 years. In Swiss Pete's version, it's clear that it's the car.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I would expect a present perfect progressive form to establish the background or cause, to be used with a finite verb to giving the result, or subsequent action.
    The car, having stood there for ten years, was no longer clean and shiny.

Generally, we would not use "having stood there" as an isolated description.

slovac

I would expect a present perfect progressive form to establish the background or cause, to be used with a finite verb to giving the result, or subsequent action.
    The car, having stood there for ten years, was no longer clean and shiny.

Generally, we would not use "having stood there" as an isolated description.
    You used a unterminave relative clause. However, what to do when you have terminave relative clause.
    Could you advise me please? Can't I use it without commas?

< Previous | Next >