I was nominally in charge of the position of...?

Vickyhere

Italian
I would to say the position that I covered in my previous experience. For example:

"I was nominally in charge of the position of Data Controller when ...."

I am not sure if "of the position of" is correct, isn't it?

Thank you in advance

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello Vickyhere,

Too many words...

You were not, I assume, in charge of the position of. You held the position. (Or, if I have completely misunderstood you, and the Data Controller was your subordinate, please let us know that.) That's still needlessly wordy.

"I was Data Controller..." works well.

To say that your were "nominally...." usually suggests that you held the position in name only, and didn't really do the job associated with the title. Is this what you mean?

He was nominally Vice President of Logistics, but in fact spent most of his time
    either playing golf or bothering the warehouse staff about the signs for the storage closet.

Vickyhere

Italian
    Hello Vickyhere,

Too many words...

You were not, I assume, in charge of the position of. You held the position. (Or, if I have completely misunderstood you, and the Data Controller was your subordinate, please let us know that.) That's still needlessly wordy.

The "Data Controller" is the figure outlined from the "Data Protection Act" (UK), it is a job title of who is in charge to check every thing about the Data Privacy. He is responsible to write down the Data Privacy policies in a company. Sorry, I though that it was a common term but I understand that it is not so! Sorry again!!

"I was Data Controller..." works well.

I think so though it could seem a general position and the position wrote in the Data Protection Act.

To say that your were "nominally...." usually suggests that you held the position in name only, and didn't really do the job associated with the title. Is this what you mean?

Thank you, good to know. It is not appropriate in my case because I worked as the Data Controller. I will delete the word nominally.

He was nominally Vice President of Logistics, but in fact spent most of his time
    either playing golf or bothering the warehouse staff about the signs for the storage closet.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Vicky, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that your job title was XXX, but by virtue of being XXX, you also held the position of Data Controller.

In that case, I would use "held the position of Data Controller". "Acted as Data Controller" would also work.

< Previous | Next >