I was [physically influenced]

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 27) | Genius

Quotation: Mosquitoes came buzzing in and hummed sullenly round the room; the sea, which I could hear from thence, rumbled dull like an earthquake—black clouds were casting up over it; the moon was setting in the waves, broad and red, like a hot cannon-ball—she threw her last bloody glance over a world quivering with the ferment of tempest. I was physically influenced by the atmosphere and scene, and my ears were filled with the curses the maniac still shrieked out; wherein she momentarily mingled my name with such a tone of demon-hate, with such language!—no professed harlot ever had a fouler vocabulary than she: though two rooms off, I heard every word—the thin partitions of the West India house opposing but slight obstruction to her wolfish cries.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. It's quite vague to me. I take it as "I was physically discomforted by..." rather than "I became ill because of...". Is it correct?

• kency

English - SE England
    On its own, "physically influenced" only means that the physical body is affected by something. It is the other descriptions in the piece that tell us the effects are negative/discomforting.

< Previous | Next >