I was reading a book but disturbed by noise.

< Previous | Next >

rumistar

Korean
Hi :)

[Example] I was reading a book but disturbed by an increasing noise coming from outside.
Is this sentence grammatically correct?

I originally intended the following sentence: I was reading a book but was disturbed by an increasing noise coming from outside.
But I deleted the word, 'was'.
I want to know if the example is correct.

Thank you in advance.:)

• sdgraham

USA English
    You deleted the verb "to be" from the clause thus destroying the passive voice expression: "was disturbed."

I suggest you return it to its rightful place.

rumistar

Korean
    You deleted the verb "to be" from the clause thus destroying the passive voice expression: "was disturbed."

I suggest you return it to its rightful place.

Aha! Thank you so much for your helpful reply.
    Have a great day.:)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, SDGraham is correct. The first was performs a different function from the second was. The first is to form a progressive (BE + V-ing), the second to form a passive (BE + V-en*). If they perform the same function, the second one can be omitted: I was pushed and shouted at at the demonstration; I was hoping and praying​ that it wouldn't be me.

*V-en = past participial form of the verb

rumistar

Korean
    Yes, SDGraham is correct. The first was performs a different function from the second was. The first is to form a progressive (BE + V-ing), the second to form a passive (BE + V-en*). If they perform the same function, the second one can be omitted: I was pushed and shouted at at the demonstration; I was hoping and praying​ that it wouldn't be me.

*V-en = past participial form of the verb
    Thanks! Your reply is also very helpful for me :)
    I can't thank you enough.:)

< Previous | Next >