I was refused by the embassy (passive voice)

Enrique mini

Mandarin - China
“I was refused by the embassy". I don't know whether this sentence can be translated like “ me negué por la embajada" or “ Se me negó el visado por la embajada". which one is right? I just want to know how to express the passive voice in Spanish if the subject is human.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Enrique mini

Mandarin - China
    [...] Back to the topic, whether those two sentences which I referred are correct too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabriel

Argentina / Español
    "Negar(se)" is "to say no". So "Me negué por la embajada" would literaly mean "I said no because of the embassy".

It could be a correct sentence in the right context.

"Se me negó el visado por la embajada", I don't know if it's right, nut it's quite unusual to say the least.
    You are mixing a passive "se" (where the active person is not mentioned) with the "traditional" passive (where the active person is in the predicate).

Better options would be:
    "Se me negó el visado."
    "El visado me fue negado por la embajada."
    "La embajada me negó el visado."

srb62

British English
    "Negar(se)" is "to say no". So "Me negué por la embajada" would literaly mean "I said no because of the embassy".

It could be a correct sentence in the right context.

"Se me negó el visado por la embajada", I don't know if it's right, nut it's quite unusual to say the least.
    You are mixing a passive "se" (where the active person is not mentioned) with the "traditional" passive (where the active person is in the predicate).

Better options would be:
    "Se me negó el visado."
    "El visado me fue negado por la embajada."
    "La embajada me negó el visado."
    Could it be argued that in the original passive, the focus is perhaps more on the act of refusal than on who did it/where it happened?
    If so, then could you say something like the following:
    "El visado, me lo negaron en la embajada" - I'm not sure if this sentence is okay or not - I get mixed up with when it's okay to use 'redundant' pronouns, and I'm not sure if putting 'la embajada' at the end of the sentence will have an effect! Anyway, just a thought :)

Gabriel

Argentina / Español
    Could it be argued that in the original passive, the focus is perhaps more on the act of refusal than on who did it/where it happened?
    If so, then could you say something like the following:
    "El visado, me lo negaron en la embajada" - I'm not sure if this sentence is okay or not - I get mixed up with when it's okay to use 'redundant' pronouns, and I'm not sure if putting 'la embajada' at the end of the sentence will have an effect! Anyway, just a thought :)
    Then, "Me negaron el visado en la embajada" would be perfect.

< Previous | Next >