I was shocked

Andrew___

May I ask how to say this phrase in MSA?

Context is, I was shocked to hear a bad piece of news.

[I was listening to a person giving a speech in MSA, and there was one moment where she said "I was shocked" in English, which sounded very strange because the rest of the speech was in MSA other than this phrase].

Thanks,
Andrew

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    May I ask how to say this phrase in MSA?

Context is, I was shocked to hear a bad piece of news.
    You can use the active voice, and say:
    (لقد) صدمني الخبر

In Egypt we say "ana'tSaDamt" أنا اتصدمت
    [I was listening to a person giving a speech in MSA, and there was one moment where she said "I was shocked" in English, which sounded very strange because the rest of the speech was in MSA other than this phrase].
    It's getting more and more common these days to hear English words slipping in Arabic conversations. Nothing shocking about it :)

Taalib

United States
    Is this a common verb in MSA? Hans Weir Dictionary does not have it, although it does list the root in the "ifta'ala" form -- "iSTadama" meaning to collide, bump, strike, hit, etc.

I see, logically, how we derive from this root an "infa'ala" form with an intransitive meaning of "to be shocked" but I just want to know if the old dictionary needs updating in terms of what is being used right now. :)

anSadamt :انصدمت

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Is this a common verb in MSA? Hans Weir Dictionary does not have it, although it does list the root in the "ifta'ala" form -- "iSTadama" meaning to collide, bump, strike, hit, etc.

I see, logically, how we derive from this root an "infa'ala" form with an intransitive meaning of "to be shocked" but I just want to know if the old dictionary needs updating in terms of what is being used right now. :)
    انصدمت - اتصدمت (both used in Egypt, I'm sorry I forgot to mention this) are colloquial usage. The MSA is Sudimtu صُدِمت
    اصطدم is another form/verb from the same root, but with a different meaning as you could note from the dictionary's entry.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi Cherine, is the د here pronounced as a د or ض in EA?

كنت متلخبطا من شرحك

شكرا جزيلاً
    Sorry if I caused you any lakhbaTa :)

We say it with a ض because the transition between the ص and the د is a bit difficult (there's a linguistic explanation for this, but I don't have the details). It's the same with a word like SayyaaD صياد

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >