I was sore <of> foot

< Previous | Next >

park sang joon

Korean
The narrator recalls his childhood.
He was forced to work for his own living for Mr. Murdstone's friend Mr. Quinion at London by his stepfather Mr. Murdstone.
When the protagonist started to run away to his grand aunt Miss Betsey, he was robbed his money and box by a porter and then he abandoned pursuing him after a long distance pursuit.

Very stiff and sore of foot I was in the morning, and quite dazed by the beating of drums and marching of troops, which seemed to hem me in on every side when I went down towards the long narrow street. Feeling that I could go but a very little way that day, if I were to reserve any strength for getting to my journey's end, I resolved to make the sale of my jacket its principal business.
[David Copperfield by Charles Dickens]
I'd like to know if "of" get "foot" to play role of a sort of the subject of "sore."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I'd like to know if "of" get "foot" to play role of a sort of the subject of "sore." Yes. of means approximately "in the".

This construction is very old, and was probably old-fashioned when Dickens wrote it. There are a lot of phrases like this: Hot of head; faint of heart; weak of limb and mind, strong of arm, etc.

The "subject" was usually a body part or attribute and always singular.

< Previous | Next >