I welcome you all to this celebration

• uinni

Italy, Italian
    mekas said:
    Please, how would say the following sentence in italian?

"I welcome you all to this celebration"

Vi do il benvenuto a questa cerimonia.
    Do a tutti voi il benvenuto a questa cerimonia

Uinni

lsp

NY
    US, English
    Charles Costante said:
    That would be understood surely. You would hardly be welcoming just a few people and not the rest.
    Same in English, yet it's there...

You little ripper!

Australian English
    lsp said:
    Same in English, yet it's there...
    Yes, you're quite right, it's just that "Do a tutti voi il benvenuto a questa cerimonia" sounds a little laboured to me. Maybe it's just that my ear is more accustomed to hearing English. Could you say "Benvenuti a tutti a questa cerimonia"?

AlxGrim

Italy, Italian
    Of course I didn't mean you are welcoming only a part of the audience. I was just saying that you dropped the word "all" in the translation, in fact changing the original sentence. But, as you said, you CAN do it as an alternative. :)

uinni

Italy, Italian
    Charles Costante said:
    Yes, you're quite right, it's just that "Do a tutti voi il benvenuto a questa cerimonia" sounds a little laboured to me. Maybe it's just that my ear is more accustomed to hearing English. Could you say "Benvenuti a tutti a questa cerimonia"?
    As far as cerimonia is concerned, it is actually better if the context is provided.

Uinni

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Originally Posted by Charles Costante

Thanks for the correction Uinni. :)

< Previous | Next >