I <went fishing> at the lake [go ...ing]

hch

Korean
Hello? As far as I'm concerned, one of the features of "go ...ing" such as 'go fishing/hunting/swimming' is that '...ing' can be used as intransitive verbs like 'swim, fish, hunt', so you can say 'I swam in the moring' instead of 'I went swimming in the moring'.

Question: Which one sounds better instead of 'I fished at the lake.'

a. I went fishing at the lake.
b. I went fishing to the lage.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    "At the lake." "To the lake" describes your travel, not your location. You did not start fishing until you arrived. You could say "I went to the lake to fish," though.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    'Swimming' etc in your sentences functions more like a noun in your sentences, and can take premodifiers ('I went deep-sea diving', 'He went fox hunting'), and sometimes we use the clear noun form. I think it is more common to say 'I went for a swim in the morning' than the alternatives you gave.

As for your two alternatives at the end, only (a) is possible, as Egmont has indicated.

hch

Korean
    "At the lake." "To the lake" describes your travel, not your location. You did not start fishing until you arrived. You could say "I went to the lake to fish," though.
    I see. Thank you but I'm still curious about this structure.

'Swimming' etc in your sentences functions more like a noun in your sentences, and can take premodifiers ('I went deep-sea diving', 'He went fox hunting'), and sometimes we use the clear noun form. I think it is more common to say 'I went for a swim in the morning' than the alternatives you gave.

As for your two alternatives at the end, only (a) is possible, as Egmont has indicated.

I see. Thank you but I'm still curious about this structure.

Last edited by a moderator:

hch

Korean
    [Two threads have been merged at this point as they cover the same question. Please read down from the top. DonnyB - moderator]

Hello? I'd like to know about 'go...ing' structure.

a. go fishing
    b. I went fishing at a lake.
    c. I went fishing to a lake.
    d. I fished at a lake.
    e. I fished to a lake.

As a non-native English speaker, this stucture is quite interesting. In (a), we have 'go', which means a movement to a certain place. So, (c) and (d) sound natural for me because 'to' has a nuance of direction and 'at' has a nuance of place. However, some native English speakers said (b) sounds natural.

Q: 'go fishing' means (a) or (b)?

a. move to a certain place in order to catch fish
    b. catch fish

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    I went fishing at a lake. = I went to the lake and then tried to catch fish (at the lake).

< Previous | Next >