I went to a fantastic beach

< Previous | Next >

angelene001

Polish
If I start telling about something and I mention it for the first time, I put "a/an" before adjective + countable noun.
I went to a fantastic beach.

Assuming it's the beginning of a story, is it possible to say:
I went to the fantastic beach.
Or is it possible only when I add something which specify which beach I'm talking about.
I went to the fantastic beach which my friend recommended me.
But I suspect that the reader still doesn't know which beach it is. Should it be still:
I went to a fantastic beach which my friend recommended me.

We usually say:
I went to the beach.
So why should I say:
I went to a fantastic beach.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'I went to the beach' is generic. It doesn't mean I went to the specific beach you know about (Palm Beach, Bondi Beach). In a story you have to introduce a specific beach (this one with big rocks and that your friend recommended). Then we know about that beach. But we all already know about the sun and the moon, the sea and the sky. We know that the landscape has mountains and country(side) and beaches and woods too, so we can use them generically with 'the': go to the mountains, beach, country.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I went to the beach = I went to some unspecified part of the 1,280,000 kilometres of beach that exist in the world.
    I went to a beach = I went to a specific but not yet identified part of the 1,280,000 kilometres of beach that exist in the world.
    I went to a fantastic beach = I went to a specific, fantastic, but still unidentified part of the 1,280,000 kilometres of beach that exist in the world.
    I went to the fantastic beach which my friend recommended me = at last we know which one! :) (The suspense was killing me.)

< Previous | Next >