I went to the shop yesterday.

< Previous | Next >

Mangxin2009

Chinese
I am asked to change simple sentences into an attributive one.
The following is my try:

1. It's the shop
2. I went to the shop yesterday.
-----> 3. It's the shop that I went to yesterday.
4. It's the shop
5. I went there yesterday.
------> 6. It's the shop where I went yesterday.

I think sentence3 is correct. However, sentence6 seems strange? Is it grammartical? But I can't see anything wrong with it. Would you please help me with it?

Many many thanks.

• Mangxin2009

Chinese
    Thank you both.

A puzzle suddenly occurs to me...
    Is this sentence an attributive one or a cleft one? Maybe it is a coincidence that it can be interpreted two ways?
    It's the shop that I went to yesterday.

EStjarn

Spanish
    Is this sentence an attributive one or a cleft one? [...] It's the shop that I went to yesterday.
    I can't find the definition of attributive sentence in the dictionaries. However, I don't believe it's a cleft sentence, which is 'a complex sentence that has a meaning which could be expressed by a simple sentence.' The example sentence can hardly be expressed more simply than it is. Compare: a) simple sentence version: I went to the shop yesterday. b) cleft sentence version: It is I who went to the shop yesterday. (In the example sentence's case: simple sentence version: The shop went to I yesterday. Cleft sentence version: It is the shop that went to I yesterday.)

Loob

English UK
    Number 6 has no grammar problem. It has a passive voice. That is probably why it is hard on your ears.
    Actually ... there's no passive in any of the sentences, Harry:(

Were you thinking of 'relative clause'?

Mangxin2009

Chinese
    I can't find the definition of attributive sentence in the dictionaries. However, I don't believe it's a cleft sentence, which is 'a complex sentence that has a meaning which could be expressed by a simple sentence.' The example sentence can hardly be expressed more simply than it is. Compare: a) simple sentence version: I went to the shop yesterday. b) cleft sentence version: It is I who went to the shop yesterday. (In the example sentence's case: simple sentence version: The shop went to I yesterday. Cleft sentence version: It is the shop that went to I yesterday.)
    I should have said "an attributive that-clause" :)

-----------
    I was taught that to form a cleft sentence is simple.
    I can use "It is/was .... that(who)...", for example,

I went to Shanghai last month.
    It's I who went to Shanghai last month.
    It's Shanghai that I went to last month.
    It was last month that I went to Shanghai.

It was the shop that I went to yesterday.

Is the last one a cleft sentence? I am puzzled.

EStjarn

Spanish
    Is the last one a cleft sentence?
    I'm revising my opinion. It does appear to be a cleft sentence. Here's from the grammar:

"We can use preparatory it in cleft sentences. The words to be emphasized are usually joined to the relative clause by that. Compare:

My secretary sent the bill to Mr Harding yesterday.
    It was my secretary that sent the bill to Mr Harding yesterday. It was the bill that my secretary sent to Mr Harding yesterday.
    It was Mr Harding that my secretary sent the bill to yesterday. It was yesterday that my secretary sent the bill to Mr Harding.

[...] Who is possible instead of that when a personal subject is emphasized." (Swan, 2005).
    Since all of those sentences are examples of cleft sentences, I see no reason why yours wouldn't be:

I went to Shanghai last month.
    It was I who went to Shanghai last month. It was last month that I went to Shanghai.

It was the shop that I went to yesterday.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >