I will call you once I get free.

< Previous | Next >
I am driving when my friend calls up, I say:
I am on my way back home, I will call you once I get free.
Is the use of get free correct? Or should I use 'once I am free '?
Thank you

• Is get free wrong?
    And can I use:
    I will call you once I an free from work /driving.
    Here work is office work and driving is the work I am referring to ,it is just coming back from work.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    It's not wrong, but it's rather formal, and very unnatural.
    Would you please give me a formal example in which it would be used? And, when you say it is "formal", it means it can be used in some specific situations. If it can be used, how can it be unnatural? Why would one use unnatural things?:confused::rolleyes: I don't understand this. Would you also clarify this?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Would you please give me a formal example in which it would be used? And, when you say it is "formal", it means it can be used in some specific situations. If it can be used, how can it be unnatural? Why would one use unnatural things?:confused::rolleyes: I don't understand this. Would you also clarify this?
    I think the point is that it's unnatural in the context in which you were trying to use it.

It might conceivably sound reasonable in, say, an 18th or 19th century novel where the hero was about to get divorced and says to his mistress "I will call you once I become free".

As native speakers, we can only really assess whether something is idiomatic or natural by reference to the surrounding context, which is partly why the forum rules stipulate that it has to be provided. ;)

heypresto

English - England
    I think the point is that it's unnatural in the context in which you were trying to use it.

It might conceivably sound reasonable in, say, an 18th or 19th century novel where the hero was about to get divorced and says to his mistress "I will call you once I become free".

As native speakers, we can only really assess whether something is idiomatic or natural by reference to the surrounding context, which is partly why the forum rules stipulate that it has to be provided. ;)
    :thumbsup: Yes. My thoughts exactly.

Context, context, context. ;)

< Previous | Next >