I will eat and <I will> drink.

< Previous | Next >

Sid ember

Urdu
Do we repeat the auxiliary verb when mentioning more than one main verb or we just mention the verbs after using the auxiliary verb once.
Here is the example.
'I will eat and I will drink.'
or 'I'll eat and drink?
Another sentence to make my question clear.:confused:.
'I went for shopping and I also went for eating pizza.'
or 'I went for shopping and eating pizza.'

• owlman5

English-US
    It really depends on the sentence, Sid. I'll eat and drink sounds fine to me.

I don't care much for I went for shopping and eating pizza. If I wanted to express that idea, I would probably say I went to shop and to eat pizza.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Normally, we wouldn’t repeat the verb, although in certain contexts doing so would be appropriate. You haven’t given us any contetc, so we can’t say which of your first pair of sentences is right for the situation . Your last two sentences are incorrect.

[Cross-posted]

Sid ember

Urdu
    Normally, we wouldn’t repeat the verb, although in certain contexts doing so would be appropriate. You haven’t given us any contetc, so we can’t say which of your first pair of sentences is right for the situation . Your last two sentences are incorrect.

[Cross-posted]
    I couldn't get your point of giving context.
    But I can give another sentence for the context :confused:.
    When I will go to the school. 'I will read and I will write.'

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Context is important because it affects our choice of words and emphasis. If we wish to be emphatic — for example if someone has told us that we shouldn’t eat or drink — we might then emphasize our intention by saying ”I will eat and I will drink (and you will not stop me):”

In casual conversation, if we are simply discussing our plans, “I’ll eat and drink” is fine.

< Previous | Next >