I will help you with it tomorrow morning.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hello teachers,
I think the conversation has to use 'will'. If that is so, isn't 'will' used there as a spontaneous offer as well as a promise?

Situation: Mary and Peter are at work.
A: Mary, it’s really difficult this new computer program.
B: I will help you with it first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    A: Mary, it’s really difficult this new computer program.
    I know you didn't ask about this line, but I wanted to point out that this is a very "Spanish" word order. We would say, "This new computer program is really difficult" (or maybe something like "I'm having a lot of problems using this new computer program").

Similarly:
    "It's very spicy this dish" → "This dish is very spicy"
    "It's excellent the movie" → "The movie is excellent"
    "He's coming my brother" → "My brother is coming."

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello Glenfarcis,
    Thank you for your interest. So you mean, instead of using the subject at the beginning, we use it as object, don't we?

TL

Susan Y

British English
    I know you didn't ask about this line, but I wanted to point out that this is a very "Spanish" word order. We would say, "This new computer program is really difficult" (or maybe something like "I'm having a lot of problems using this new computer program").

Similarly:
    "It's very spicy this dish" → "This dish is very spicy"
    "It's excellent the movie" → "The movie is excellent"
    "He's coming my brother" → "My brother is coming."
    Actually, this construction is quite common in BE, with the addition of a comma:

It's really difficult, this computer program. :tick:

(I'm sure I have seen other threads on this construction. I will try and find some*).

TL, in your first post you said "I think the conversation has to use 'will'." Are you talking here about a choice between "will" and "going to"? I'm not sure what your question is!

* Edit: here's one of those threads:http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/its-funny-this-movie-isnt-it.2800759/

Last edited:

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello Susan Y,
    Thank you for your interest too. Well, I'm pretty sure the one that has to be used is 'will' and not 'be going to'. Is it wrong my assumption?
    Very interesting thread about the 'It's' at the beginning. :)

TL

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Well, I'm pretty sure the one that has to be used is 'will' and not 'be going to'. Is it wrong my assumption?
    You need "will" there. I think "going to" would only work if A had mentioned it before and B had already agreed to help, but had perhaps not specified the exact time:
    A: Mary, it’s really difficult, this new computer program.
    B: I'm going to help you with it first thing tomorrow morning.

< Previous | Next >