I will make it absolutely: I will throw all on the altar—heart, vitals, the entire victim

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 34) | Genius

Quotation: By straining to satisfy St. John till my sinews ache, I shall satisfy him—to the finest central point and farthest outward circle of his expectations. If I do go with him—if I do make the sacrifice he urges, I will make it absolutely: I will throw all on the altar—heart, vitals, the entire victim. He will never love me; but he shall approve me; I will show him energies he has not yet seen, resources he has never suspected. Yes, I can work as hard as he can, and with as little grudging.

Context: Jane was thinking about St. John’s proposal
===
Hi everyone! I don’t quite understand the bold sentence. I try to make it clear as below. Is it correct?

Absolute => 1. total and complete; perfect
Vital => 2 A vital part or organ. rare. Formed from the collect. pl. vitals. [OED]

The sentence => I will make the sacrifice without any reserve: I will sacrifice all I have – my love, my life – I will be the entire victim.

• suzi br

English / England
    Yep, I reckon you have it there. It is an interesting mix of ideas since the idea of sacrificing a whole animal on an alter has long gone out of fashion in the Christian church .. but she sees the life with St John as being a total sacrifice of herself.

< Previous | Next >