I will rent a property lodging depending on the number of people

volver

french belgium
Hello,

If for instance, I want to invite some friends to a party.
I would like them to know that I will rent a property but depending on the number of people.
Would you say the following I will rent a property lodging depending on the number of people?

Is there a better way of saying it?

Thank you.

VOLVER

• jimanchower

American English
    A short version would be, "I will rent a _________ based on how many people plan to attend," or something to that effect.

As for what goes in the blank, are you referring to overnight accommodations or to an event like a birthday party? "Lodging" would be correct if you are referring to something like hotel rooms. "Venue" is a better choice if you are referring to something like a conference center or wedding location.

volver

french belgium
    I would like to rent a property lodging for my birthday. I haven't chosen the property lodging yet. It will depend on the number of people as there are properties for 5 or 10 or 15 people so I need to know who attend to book it. I don't know how to formulate it correctly ?

Thank you.

VOLVER

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It's a gite. Coud I say a gite instead?
    No, we don't use "gite" in English unless you're referring specifically to a holiday cottage in France.

In your context, I'd just say "rent a place" or even simply "rent somewhere".

Last edited:

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    If this is in the invitation to English speakers I would give some indication of the kind of place I had in mind, and the length of time.

In Canada we have several interchangeable words for self contained holiday rentals outside the city.

Cottage
    Cabin ( used more in the west)
    Ski chalet

If it's a condominium in a ski town we'd say condo.

How about:

I am planning to rent a cottage in the xxx area for Friday and Saturday night on xxxx (dates). I will book the accommodation based on the number of people who will be attending. Please RSVP by xxxx date.

That lets people know they will need to travel out of town, gives them some idea of weather and possible activities, and allows them to consider whether they can manage to attend.

volver

french belgium
    Would it be a cottage or a property lodging? In fact, that's a house with many rooms.

Thank you VOLVER

Myridon

English - US
    You were asked "What do you mean by property lodging?" because that is not a known phrase. Nothing is a "property lodging." ;)

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Would it be a cottage or a property lodging? In fact, that's a house with many rooms.

Thank you VOLVER
    The term property lodging means nothing in English. It certainly does not mean a vacation or recreational rental.

A cottage can be defined very broadly. It can certainly be more than one room.

You could use the all purpose term "vacation house" or "holiday home" or similar or "vacation property."

Lodging is not really a current use as a description.

< Previous | Next >