I will swing back to

panzerfaust0

mandarin
Hello. I heard this sentence two times: "I will swing back to _____". Both times it happened in these discussion groups I attended. Basically a bunch of people got together, and they talked about a topic that was pre-determined. Like an exchange of ideas. And on both occasions, someone said, "I will swing back to _____", I forgot the exact words but I perceived that they were trying to get back to the original point when they felt that the discussion had deviated too far from the topic, as discussions tend to do.

My own understanding of "swing back to ____" is that the speaker wants to get the topic back on track. And not only this, this phrase seems to imply that the discussion has deviated greatly from what was being talked about.

My questions:

1. Is my understanding correct?
2. Under what circumstances would you say it? If at all. Maybe it's not something you normally say.

Thanks.

• panzerfaust0

mandarin
    Thanks to both.

I think this is a regional thing. I live in Vancouver and maybe people in this area talk differently than Americans.

PeskyWesky

English England
    I would say it when I want to move on to another topic, or I have to move on to another topic because of time running out for example, and I want to tell people I'll return to the subject I was talking about at a later point. I'll swing back to that later = I'll come back to that

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Thanks to both.

I think this is a regional thing. I live in Vancouver and maybe people in this area talk differently than Americans.
    I am in Canada also and I would see this as a normal statement. It doesn't mean even going back to the original topic but can be going back to a comment previously raised.

I think it works to express what the speaker wants to do rather than sound like the speaker is trying to babysit the discussion and make everyone else stay on topic.

I'd like to swing back to a point raised by Susie a few minutes ago.

I'd like to swing back to the larger issue at stake here

I'd like to swing back to the main question under discussion by this panel.

All totally normal to me especially in a panel or conference or political debate situation, but also possible in a staff meeting

< Previous | Next >