i wish all my wish will come true.

< Previous | Next >

tsktsk

singapore
Hi guys, can anyone tell me which sentences is correct?

1. i wish all my wish will come true.
2. i wish all my wish can come true.
3. i wish all my wishes will come true.
4. i wish all my wishes can come true.

5. i wish all my wish comes true.
6. i wish all my wishes come true.

which sentences is the most correct one?

thanks in advance :D.

• jabogitlu

USA-English
    I'd say "I wish all my wishes came true" is the correct form of saying it.
    No, that's not right. That means "I wish that all my wishes had come true." Or it could, depending on the tone and context, mean "Jeez, I wish all *my* wishes c ame true (like yours do)!"

The best way to say it, I think, is "I wish all my wishes come true." This still sounds quite clunky, and I would probably opt for "I hope all my wishes come true."

jacinta

USA English
    I agree with "I hope all my wishes come true", if it is a desire for the future. There is a possibility of it happening.

I wish all my wishes came true. This sounds like someone expressing a dream of theirs. There is no possibility of it happening.

I wish all my wishes come true. Repeating "wish" just sounds wrong. For one thing, dreams would probably be used instead of wishes. I would add a would to the sentence:
    I wish all my dreams would come true.

jester.

Germany -> German
    No, that's not right. That means "I wish that all my wishes had come true." Or it could, depending on the tone and context, mean "Jeez, I wish all *my* wishes c ame true (like yours do)!"

The best way to say it, I think, is "I wish all my wishes come true." This still sounds quite clunky, and I would probably opt for "I hope all my wishes come true."
    Ok, then I'm stuck here. I don't understand why "I wish all my wishes came true" is wrong when "I wish you were here" (a very popular wish, methinks) is right. :confused:

Although I agree that "I wish all my wishes..." sounds a bit clumsy...

jabogitlu

USA-English
    I think you and I might be thinking of different things, jester.

I wish all my wishes came true = It would be nice if all my wishes were to come true.

I wish(hope) all my wishes come true = I really want all my wishes to come true.

English subjunctive is too fuzzy for me to explain properly, as I have no idea. But just remember that, indeed, English subjunctive *is* fuzzy, and very few native English-speakers have any idea what it is, or when they use it. That's probably why we have a half-subjunctive and half-non-subjunctive phrase lexicon!

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    I think you and I might be thinking of different things, jester.

I wish all my wishes came true = It would be nice if all my wishes were to come true.

I wish(hope) all my wishes come true = I really want all my wishes to come true.

English subjunctive is too fuzzy for me to explain properly, as I have no idea. But just remember that, indeed, English subjunctive *is* fuzzy, and very few native English-speakers have any idea what it is, or when they use it. That's probably why we have a half-subjunctive and half-non-subjunctive phrase lexicon!
    I wish all my wishes came true. "I wish you were here" the construction uses the past subjunctive and it indeed implies that one's wishes are not likely to come true.
    I wish all my wishes come true. uses the present subjunctive and here the possibility of fulfilment is much higher than in the case with the past subjunctive.
    Substitute wish with another verb that yields the subjunctive in English and you will see that the present sbjunctive is fine here (I assume you are used to wish + past subjunctive. This is mainly taught and used as a sample of it in textbooks.)

Tom

Yako

Spanish
    Un tema muy complicado, sin duda.

¿Sería incorrecto decir "I wish all my dreams to come true"? Porque al entrar en el hilo fue lo primero que me vino a la cabeza.

Gracias por vuestra ayuda.

Un saludo.

mazbook

United States/México, English
    Hi guys, can anyone tell me which sentences is correct?

1. i wish all my wish will come true. :cross:
    2. i wish all my wish can come true. :cross:
    3. i wish all my wishes will come true. :tick:
    4. i wish all my wishes can come true. :tick::warn:

5. i wish all my wish comes true. :cross:
    6. i wish all my wishes come true. :tick:

which sentences is the most correct one?

thanks in advance :D.
    But as jabogitlu says, "I hope..." is a better construction or as jacinta says, "I wish all my dreams...". Nothing wrong with using the verb "to wish" along with the noun "wish" but it sounds somewhat odd to a native English speaker.

As far as the past subjunctive in English, it's mostly only used with "to be", so, "I wish all my wishes were to come true." is what sounds best. Using the past subjunctive of "to come" sounds very strange to the native English speaker.

Hope this helps.

Saludos desde Mazatlán

mazbook

Hola suzzzenn: I like "will" better, as it shows a much more postive attitude. :D

Yako: Puede decir "to come true" y no es incorrecto pero no suena "normal" para un anglohablante nativo. Similar a la "can come true."(#4) por tsktsk.

Saludos desde Mazatlán

Yako

Spanish
    Pues muchas gracias por la aclaración, MAZBOOK.

He leído tantas veces expresiones como "I wish you to be happy", "I wish you to live in peace", "I wish you to leave and never return", etc... , todas ellas traducidas por "deseo/quiero que...", que erróneamente asumí que la misma estructura sería válida para traducir "Deseo/quiero que todos mis sueños...". No esperaba que sonara tan mal a oídos de un angloparlante nativo.

En fin, muchas gracias de nuevo por tu tiempo. Me has sido de gran ayuda. Como siempre. ;-)

Un saludo.

suzzzenn

USA English
    Hola suzzzenn: I like "will" better, as it shows a much more postive attitude. :D
    I don't think will is correct after "wish". In general wishes follow the same pattern as contrafactual conditionals. Wishes about the present and future uses the past subjunctive. Wishes about the past use the past perfect or modal perfect.

Present : I wish (that) I were in France
    I wish that what she said were true.

Future: I wish she would call
    I wish she could come tomorrow
    I wish he were going to be here next week.

Past: I wish he had called.
    I wish they could have come to Paris with us.
    I wish I had spoken more French.

Saludos!
    Susan

Edit: OR..the infinitive form as others have offered above!
    Another edit: This is true at least of AE. I think BE handles conditionals all a bit differently. I don't know all of their rules. If you have a textbook, check to see if it is AE or BE.

mazbook

No, no, no, Yako:

He leído tantas veces expresiones como "I wish for you to be happy", "I wish for you to live in peace", "I wish you to would leave and never return", "I wish for you to leave..." es correcto pero también suena un poco extraño a mi. etc... , todas ellas traducidas por "deseo/quiero que...", que erróneamente asumí que la misma estructura sería válida para traducir "Deseo/quiero que todos mis sueños...". No esperaba que sonara tan mal a oídos de un angloparlante nativo.

En fin, muchas gracias de nuevo por tu tiempo. Me has sido de gran ayuda. Como siempre. ;-)

Un saludo.
    Sus traducciones son absolutemente correctos pero sus oraciones en inglés son un poco incorrecto. Éste es la causa de su confusión. "I wish for all my wishes to come true." cierto es correcto y normal.

Saludos desde Mazatlán

Yako

Spanish
    MAZBOOK, ahora sí que me has dejado completamente estupefacto. ¿También "I wish you to be happy" es incorrecto?. ¡Pero si es uno de los ejemplos de mi libro de gramática inglesa para la estructura de "acusativo + infinitivo con to"!. En serio, entre muchos otros ejemplos de dicha estrucura, como "I hate him to give orders", "I told her to wait" o "I want her to stay", en mi libro aparece precisamente la frase "I wish you to be happy".

"Con los verbos de voluntad que expresan mandato, ruego, permiso, consejo, deseo y similares, y sus contrarios, prohibición, oposición, contrariedad o repulsa (to want, to wish, to like, to love, to tell, to ask, to order, to command, to bed, to expect, to advise, to allow/permit, to forbid, to invite y to persuade, entre otros) se emplea la contrucción nombre o pronombre en acusativo + infinitivo con to:"

De verdad, ahora sí que no entiendo nada.:confused: :(

suzzzenn

USA English

He leído tantas veces expresiones como "I wish you to be happy":tick: , "I wish you to live in peace":tick: , "I wish you to leave and never return":tick: , etc... , todas ellas traducidas por "deseo/quiero que...", que erróneamente asumí que la misma estructura sería válida para traducir "Deseo/quiero que todos mis sueños...". No esperaba que sonara tan mal a oídos de un angloparlante nativo.

Un saludo.
    All of those sentences are correct. They do sound a little formal. I would probably only use the infinitive structure in toasts, greeting cards, or if I were very, very angry.

Theses two sentences have a slightly diffeent meaning:

I wish you were happy. <-- This implies the speaker is not happy
    I wish you to be happy. <-- This is just a general, formal sounding wish

jabogitlu

USA-English
    Agreed, they are perfect translations, but they're constructions that are not used regularly.

I wish for your happiness.
    I hope you're happy (or, I hope you'll be happy.

I hope you live in peace.
    I wish for your life to be peaceful.

I wish you'd leave and never return.

mazbook

Yako said:
    He leído tantas veces expresiones como "I wish you to be happy":tick: , "I wish you to live in peace":tick: , "I wish you to leave and never return":tick: , etc... , todas ellas traducidas por "deseo/quiero que...", que erróneamente asumí que la misma estructura sería válida para traducir "Deseo/quiero que todos mis sueños...". No esperaba que sonara tan mal a oídos de un angloparlante nativo.
    All of those sentences are correct. They do sound a little formal. I would probably only use the infinitive structure in toasts, greeting cards, or if I were very, very angry.
    En la realidad, suzzzenn tiene razón. Las oraciones son correctas pero no son normales. Posiblemente puede usar para un brindis muy formal. ¡Perdóneme! por mi error «sus oraciones en inglés son un poco incorrecto.» Pero cierto las son incorrectas en conversación normal.
    MAZBOOK, ahora sí que me has dejado completamente estupefacto. ¿También "I wish you to be happy":tick::warn: es incorrecto?. ¡Pero si es uno de los ejemplos de mi libro de gramática inglesa para la estructura de "acusativo + infinitivo con to"!. En serio, entre muchos otros ejemplos de dicha estrucura, como "I hate him to give orders":cross:, "I told her to wait" OK o "I want her to stay" OK, en mi libro aparece precisamente la frase "I wish you to be happy".

"Con los verbos de voluntad que expresan mandato, ruego, permiso, consejo, deseo y similares, y sus contrarios, prohibición, oposición, contrariedad o repulsa (to want, to wish, to like, to love, to tell, to ask, to order, to command, to bed, to expect, to advise, to allow/permit, to forbid, to invite y to persuade, entre otros) se emplea la contrucción nombre o pronombre en acusativo + infinitivo con to:"

"I hate for him to give orders." Creo, el problema es sólo con los verbos de deseos. Puede decir, "wish for", "wish that", "hope that", "hope for", "pray for", "pray that", "hate for"(un deseo negativo)","desire that" pero la forma, "wish +you/he/she/o nombre to +verbo de acción." no es una forma correcta en conversaciones/escritos normales con estos verbos. Cierto, la regla en su libro sirve con otros verbos, por ejemplo, "want", "tell", y los otros tipos y los son absolutemente correctos.

Saludos desde Mazatlán

mazbook

Hola suzzzen:
    I don't think will is correct after "wish". In general wishes follow the same pattern as contrafactual conditionals. Wishes about the present and future uses the past subjunctive. Wishes about the past use the past perfect or modal perfect.

Present : I wish (that) I were in France tentative
    I wish that what she said were true. speculative
    "I wish (that) all my wishes (...) will
    come true." present - projecting to the future - very positive and correct in this sentence. To see what I mean, break it into two sentences, "I'm going to make a wish. My wishes will all come true." or even better, "I wish, 'All my wishes will come true.'"

Future: I wish she would call tentative - projecting a past action "She hasn't called." into the future.
    I wish she could come tomorrow tentative/conditional
    I wish he were going to be here next week. tentative

Past: I wish he had called.
    I wish they could have come to Paris with us.
    I wish I had spoken more French.

Saludos!
    Susan

Edit: OR..the infinitive form as others have offered above!
    Another edit: This is true at least of AE. I think BE handles conditionals all a bit differently. I don't know all of their rules. If you have a textbook, check to see if it is AE or BE.
    I agree with everything you say, but in this sentence, my editor's ear says that will is the better choice for normal AE. "would" or "could" just sound too tentative (as subjunctives often are).

Saludos desde Mazatlán

suzzzenn

USA English
    Hola suzzzen:I agree with everything you say, but in this sentence, my editor's ear says that will is the better choice for normal AE. "would" or "could" just sound too tentative (as subjunctives often are).

Saludos desde Mazatlán
    Hola Mazbook,

Well, let's just agree to disagree on this one.

Saludos

Ivy29

Banned
    COLOMBIA-Español
    MAZBOOK, ahora sí que me has dejado completamente estupefacto. ¿También "I wish you to be happy" es incorrecto?. ¡Pero si es uno de los ejemplos de mi libro de gramática inglesa para la estructura de "acusativo + infinitivo con to"!. En serio, entre muchos otros ejemplos de dicha estrucura, como "I hate him to give orders", "I told her to wait" o "I want her to stay", en mi libro aparece precisamente la frase "I wish you to be happy".

La razón del uso del infinitivo es que ciertos verbos ( non-progressive verbs) no pueden ser seguidos sino por infinitivos como el caso de WISH.

Además, wish+clause
    I wish (that) I were a better driver.
    I wish (that) the snow would stay forever
    It expresses regret that things are not different, and refers to situations that are UNREAL, impossible or unlikely.
    For things that seem possible in the furure. We often use HOPE in this sense.
    I hope you pass the exam
    I hope yopu feel better tomorrow.

WISH + that clause. TENSES.

For present or future meanings
    I wish I spoke French
    I wish I had a yacht
    I wish tomorrow were Sunday
    All the staff wish you weren't leaving so soon.

FOR PAST WISHES :
    PAST PERFECT

I wish you hadn't said that.
    Now she wishes she had gone to university.
    Ivy29

< Previous | Next >