I wish I could/would be

ADMP

Sinhaleese - Sri Lanka
" If somebody wants to say that he or she likes to be like somebody, how can we say it?
  1. I wish I could / would be like ....
  2. I wish I would/ could be ........

• zindagi rocks

Banned
    INDIA,hindi n english
    Would refers to past tense,as an example "I wish i would have completed my project today itself"
    Where as, could is yet can be done,as an example "I wish I could be like my dad"
    As my knowledge goes.

Sallyb36

British UK
    Would refers to past tense,as an example "I wish i would have completed my project today itself"
    Where as, could is yet can be done,as an example "I wish I could be like my dad"
    As my knowledge goes.

In that case you would say "I wish I had completed my project today"

You could say "I wish I would listen more to what people tell me", for example.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindagi rocks
    As my knowledge goes.

In that case you would say "I wish I had completed my project today"

You could say "I wish I would listen more to what people tell me", for example.

I endorse this correction of Zindagi Rocks first sentence for BE use. The second, I wish I would listen more to what people tell me, might be better as I wish I listened more to what people tell me.

ADMP's opening sentence I wish I would be like is surely wrong. We'd be more likely to say I wish I were like.
    I seem to remember some people insist on the subjunctive for impossible conditions: so if I was an engine-driver but if I were you. You'd think that if I was like him would, therefore, be acceptable, because you could be like him, but I can't think I'd ever use it; I'd always say if I were like him.