I wish I would be there to cheer you up

nabster

English and Hindi
"I wish i would be there to cheer you up", is this sentence correct? Actually i am not sure of 'would'.I think 'could' should be used in place of 'would' but i have seen many sentences where 'would' is used for expressing any desire.Please tell me what i should use 'would'or 'could'. Actually i think both are correct.Help me.

• Copyright

American English
    I would think "would" is wrong here. Here are two examples of correct sentences:

I wish I could be there to cheer you up.
    I would like to be there to cheer you up.

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Nabster. I agree with you that "could" would sound more natural in that sentence: I wish I could be there to cheer you up.

Use "could" in sentences that express the idea of "can": I wish I could be there to cheer you up. But I can't, so I'm sending you a sympathy card.

Use "would" in sentences that express the idea of "will":

I thought I would be there by tomorrow, but I won't. Something has come up, and I won't be there until Thursday.

inib

British English
    Together with "wish", "would" is mostly used when one person is complaining about another person's behaviour.
    Examples:
    I wish my husband wouldn't leave his dirty socks on the floor
    I wish Peter would study more
    I wish it would stop raining (not a second person here, but there is still a change of subject).
    Hope it helps.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Together with "wish", "would" is mostly used when one person is complaining about another person's behaviour.
    Examples:
    I wish my husband wouldn't leave his dirty socks on the floor
    I wish Peter would study more
    I wish it would stop raining (not a second person here, but there is still a change of subject).
    Hope it helps.
    I agree with you, Inib.

Even if one is, as it were, complaining about one's own behaviour, one would more naturally use a different formula:

I wish I studied more:tick: rather than I wish I would study more:cross:.
    I wish I didn't lose my temper with him every time he comes to stay:tick: rather than I wish I wouldn't lose my temper with him every time he comes to stay:cross:.

Last edited:

louiseur

français
    I m not really good in english but I believe your tense is correct. Would is here used as the preterit of will. I would be very glad to have confirmation....

Tazzler

American English
    Hello. No, the original sentence does not sound correct to me at all. The reasons given a year and a half ago explain it well, I think.

< Previous | Next >