I wish this dream come / came true

vancho32

Spanish
According to Grammar rules, the right sentence would be "I wish this dream CAME true". Using COME instead of CAME in that sentence would be incorrect, is that right?

• Cholo234

American English
    Yes, "come" wouldn't be correct.

"In a that-clause after wish, we generally use the same tenses as we would use, for instance, after 'It would be nice if . . . .' Past tenses are used with a present or future meaning.

I wish I spoke French. (= It would be nice if I spoke French.)
    I wish I had a yacht. I wish tomorrow was Sunday.
    All the staff wish you weren't leaving so soon.

Would
    is very common in that-clauses after wish. Sentences with wish . . . would express regret or annoyance that something will not happen."

Practical English Usage (630)

Are you talking about something in the future in your sentence?

Last edited:

sound shift

English - England
    Talking about the future: "I hope this dream comes true."

Talking about the past (1): "I wish this dream had come true" (it didn't come true).
    Talking about the past (2): "I hope this dream came true" (I don't know if it came true).

gengo

American English
    According to grammar rules, the right sentence would be "I wish this dream CAME true". Using COME instead of CAME in that sentence would be incorrect, is that right?
    "I wish this dream came true" refers to a habitual action. For example:

Many parents dream of successful careers for their children. I wish this dream came true more often.

However, if you are referring to a single dream (one person), you need to say: I wish this dream would come true OR I hope this dream comes true.