I wish we weren't doing... & I wish we wouldn't be doing...

< Previous | Next >

IXIA

Spanish
In my grammar book it's written that "wish" can express "regret that something is not the case" and also "unlikely or hypothetical situations".

The example in the book is:

"I wish we weren't doing the exam tomorrow!" expressing regret about the future.

I want to know if it's correct to say:

"I wish we wouldn't be doing the exam tomorrow" expressing a wish instead of a regret. I'm considering this possibility because I know that it's said "I wish he would do the shopping" and I don't know why it can't be the same with the other example...

I hope I've explained properly my question :S

Thank you!!!

• peterfenn

Banned
    Waray-Waray
    Ojalá no hicieramos el examen mañana: I wish we weren't doing the exam tomorrow. [regret]
    Ojalá hiciera la compra: I wish he would do the shopping. [wish]

In answer to your question, the "I wish + would" construction is allowed with one but not the other because one is a wish ("would" allowed) but the other is a regret ("would" not allowed).

IXIA

Spanish
    In answer to your question, the "I wish + would" construction is allowed with one but not the other because one is a wish ("would" allowed) but the other is a regret ("would" not allowed).
    I think that my problem was that I was considering "regret" as something that I have done but now I realize that I shouldn't have done it, instead of something that I have to do and I don't want to.

Thank you for your help :) and for your quick answer!

< Previous | Next >