Persian - Iran
    Persian: kâshki injâ budi

EDIT:
    In Persian, we also add "now" to such a sentence:

I wish you were here now - kâshki alân injâ budi

Honour

Türkçe, Türkiye
    Turkish
    Keşke burada olsan. (I wish you were here)
    Keşke yanımda olsan. (I wish you were by my side )

Both are fine in Turkish.

michimz

US English
    Shouldn't it be something like Desearia que seas aqui. I though so because it is a wish.
    Honour- It the correct form would be -estes (not seas in this case -location)- if -Desearía- were also in the present - Deseo que estes aquí. Desearía is conditional and that always goes with past subjunctive -estuvieras or estuvieses- they are both correct. It is like If-then.

Hakro

Finnish - Finland
    In Finnish it can be also expressed in just two words:
    Olisitpa täällä.
    This includes everything that is said in the five-word English sentence on in the four-word Finnish sentence that Dr. Watson sent: Toivon että olisit täällä.

Honour

Türkçe, Türkiye
    Honour- It the correct form would be -estes (not seas in this case -location)- if -Desearía- were also in the present - Deseo que estes aquí. Desearía is conditional and that always goes with past subjunctive -estuvieras or estuvieses- they are both correct. It is like If-then.

:thumbsup:Thanks for the explanation Michimz.

michimz

US English
    Spanish is a very widespread language with many different dialects, customs and cultures. I just think that it is going to far to say, "I've never heard a native speaking like that," because I have.

Kelev

United States Enligsh/Hebrew
    In Hebrew
    Saying to a female - Alvai she hayit can.
    Saying to a male - Alvai she hayita can.

kid TJ

Slovenia, slovene
    In Slovenian:
    To a female: Želim si, da bi bila tukaj. (or just: tu instead of: tukaj)
    To a male: Želim si, da bi bil tukaj. (tu)

Abbassupreme

United States, English, Persian
    Persian: kâshki injâ budi

EDIT:
    In Persian, we also add "now" to such a sentence:

I wish you were here now - kâshki alân injâ budi
    Which, LITERALLY, would best be translated as "If only you were here." and "If only you were here, now.", respectively.

Oh, and another phrase used in Persian is "jât khâli ast/jât khâliye" or "jât khâli bud", which literally means "Your place is empty" and "your place WAS empty", respectively.

Yet ANOTHER way one could say "wish you were here" is "Delam mikhâd tow injâ bâshi." ("My heart desires for you to be here.")

Lemminkäinen

Norwegian (bokmål)
    Norwegian (bokmål): Jeg skulle ønske du var her
    Norwegian (nynorsk): Eg skulle ynskje du var her

Russian: Я хочу, чтобы ты был здесь (I'm not sure that's completely correct, though)

jana.bo99

Cro, Slo
    Slovenian: Želim si, da bi bil tukaj z menoj (female)
    Želim si, da bi bila tukaj z menoj (male)

Croatian: Željela bi, da si ovdje samnom (female)
    Želio bi, da si ovdje samnom (male)

min300

Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    Yet ANOTHER way one could say "wish you were here" is "Delam mikhâd tow injâ bâshi." ("My heart desires for you to be here.")
    Yes. But I think ' Delam mikhâd tow injâ boudi' is correct.
    And I was also thinking of ' Arezoo mikardam ke inja boudi' which means ' I wish you were here', but I think it's more formal.:rolleyes:

apmoy70

Greek
    Greek:

«Μακάρι να ήσουν/νά'σουν εδώ» [maˈka.ɾi na ˈisun/ˈna.sun eˈðɔ]

«Μακάρι»: MoGr interjection from the Byzantine Greek impersonal expression «Μακάριον (ἐστί)» Makárion (estí) --> (It's) blissful/blessed/fortunate < Classical adj. «μακάριος, -ρίᾱ, -ιον» măkắriŏs (masc.), măkăríā (fem.), măkắriŏn (neut.) --> blessed, fortunate, wealthy, blissful, happy < Classical 3rd declension adj. «μάκαρ» mắkăr/mắkār (masc./fem. nom. sing.), «μάκαρος» mắkărŏs (masc./fem. gen. sing.) --> blissful (of unknown etymology, Beekes considers it Pre-Greek because of the interchange -ăr/-ār).

SuperXW

Chinese:
    Simplified (PRC) 真希望你也在这里。
    Traditional (Taiwan, Hong Kong etc.) 真希望你也在這裡。
    It may vary a bit to fit different contexts.

kwak22

русский (россия)
    Russian: Я хочу, чтобы ты был здесь (I'm not sure that's completely correct, though)
    Either that, or also "Я хочу, чтобы ты был рядом" (lit. "I want you to be near" [me]); "здесь" might raise too many questions on the subject "where, after all?", so I personally don't like it very much.

< Previous | Next >