I wished my vacation would have changed my life.

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
1. I wished my vacation would change my life.
2. I wished my vacation would have changed my life.

self-made

Hello,
I'm stuck in the bold written parts. Which should be used?

Thank you.

• 2. makes more sense to my ears, as the wish seems to be a thing of the past and not valid anymore. 1. doesn't sound right to me. Please mind that, being a native speaker of a language that has strict rules on this aspect, I can only understand 2. as

- I still haven't had my vacation
    - I had a hope that my soon-to-be vacation would have changed my life
    - Now I have given up that hope and I have accepted the idea that I'm going for a normal plain vacation.

If I've already had my vacation and my wish has gone unfilfilled, then I wouldn't use 2. but rather I wished my vacation had changed my life.
    I'm almost sure that native speakers will contradict my assumption, but it may be also interesting to consider how a non native understand the language.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Thank you.

I wish one native English speaker would comment on my sentence #2.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You haven't provided any context, sb70012. What do you want your sentence to mean, and in what situation would you say it?

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    photo_2016-07-28_23-37-25.jpg

Here you are.

This is mentioned in number 6. A friend of mine sent this picture to me. I don't know the name of the book.

Thank you.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    1. I wished my vacation would change my life.
    2. I wished my vacation would have changed my life.
    3. I wished my vacation had changed my life.

I think these three can work in number 6 of the picture.

You haven't provided any context, sb70012. What do you want your sentence to mean, and in what situation would you say it?
    In fact, the context that has been given is enough for me to stand corrected. I realised that 2. can also be used in the case of exercise #6, where the vacation was done and life was actually changed. I'd limit the had changed option to the scenario of vacation being spent and life not being changed.
    Sorry for the mess, I'll avoid early posting next time:)

Forero

Here is my rendition of the context, minus the attempts at filling in the blanks:
    SYLVIA: Well, if I (4. remember) __ correctly, you [said] that you wished your life (5. not/be) __ so predictab[le] and boring.
    SARAH: I know. I even said I wished my vacation (6. change) __ my life. And it did— for the worse!
    SYLVIA: Look, Sarah, anyone can get thrown off a wild horse!
    SARAH: If it (7. be) __ only that! I was actually glad to get [off] the horse any way I could. I just wish it (8. not/fall) __ on top of me and (9. break) __ my arm!
    SYLVIA: But you're lucky you escaped!
    View attachment 19403
    Here you are.

This is mentioned in number 6. A friend of mine sent this picture to me. I don't know the name of the book.

Thank you.
    Of the choices given, only 1 "would change" fits the context of number 6.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I can't even see the context properly. I hate having to click on an attachment to see what you're talking about.

Would it be a lot of trouble to type out three or four sentences in your first post next time, sb?:)

Fern_

English - British
    It looks to me like the two speakers are recalling a conversation they had BEFORE the holiday. The holiday is now finished, but they are talking now about that past conversation.
    Past conversation: I hope my vacation will change my life.
    Present conversation referring to the past conversation: You wished your vacation would change your life.

Option 3, 'You wished the vacation had changed your life' is not possible here, because that makes the wishing take place AFTER the vacation. It also means that in reality it did NOT change her life, which is not what is written in the conversation, where it says it DID change her life for the worse.

Option 2, 'would have changed' is not the correct structure for 'reported speech' or 'future in the past', where we are simply making 'will' into a past form, 'would'.

< Previous | Next >