"I won't tolerate him being the team leader" - "I won't tolerate his being the team leader"

Muhammad Khatab

Classical Arabic
I won't tolerate him being the team leader means that "being the team leader (I'm the team leader), I won't tolerate him"; in other words, I, because of my position as the team leader, hate him as a person.
I won't tolerate his being the team leader means that I hate the fact that he is the team leader, but I don't hate him as a person.
Is my explanation right?
Thanks in advance!:)

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    No; "I won't tolerate him being the team leader" and "I won't tolerate his being the team leader" are generally taken to mean the same thing. The links provided in your earlier thread on this topic should be helpful.

"Being the team leader, I won't tolerate him" would be closer to the meaning you suggest for "I won't tolerate him being the team leader."

Muhammad Khatab

Classical Arabic
    No; "I won't tolerate him being the team leader" and "I won't tolerate his being the team leader" are generally taken to mean the same thing. The links provided in your earlier thread on this topic should be helpful.

"Being the team leader, I won't tolerate him" would be closer to the meaning you suggest for "I won't tolerate him being the team leader."
    You mean that they both means I hate the fact that he is the team leader, but I don't hate him as a person?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "I won't tolerate him/his being the team leader" would be understood to mean that you do not want him to be the team leader and will do something to prevent it. Neither version has anything to do with you feel about him as a person.

[Edited to correct typo]

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >