I worked/had worked/had been working there for 10 years

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
I worked/had worked/had been working there for 10 years before I met her<——-Sentence from original thread title added to post by moderator (Florentia52)——->

what's the main difference between those choices and which one is grammatically acceptable and more natural to say? thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
  • se16teddy

English - England
    "Had been working" is best.
    Use the present perfect continuous of an action that has happened continuously or continually over a specified or implied period that continued to the present period. Use the past perfect continuous of an action that happened continuously or continually over a specified or implied period that ended in the past.

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
    "Had been working" is best.
    Use the present perfect continuous of an action that has happened continuously or continually over a specified or implied period that continued to the present period. Use the past perfect continuous of an action that happened continuously or continually over a specified or implied period that ended in the past.
    thanks for your answer. So without the "10 year" part, should we use "worked"?
    and how about this sentence:"I worked there as a manager for 10 years. now I work in a bookshop". is it better and more natural than "had worked"?

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    So without the "10 year" part, should we use "worked"?
    It depends on the kind of time you have in mind, not on the words used.
    how about this sentence:"I worked there as a manager for 10 years. now I work in a bookshop". is it better and more natural than "had worked"?
    The past perfect is use of actions that happened before another relevant past action. What is the "other relevant past action" here?

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
    It depends on the kind of time you have in mind, not on the words used.
    The past perfect is use of actions that happened before another relevant past action. What is the "other relevant past action" here?
    yeah I got what you meant. Then I'll write this sentence : 'I worked or lived there for 10 years until I got 20 ', Can the 'I got 20' part here be considered "other relevant past action"? If It can, will 'lived" or "had been living" be grammatically correct and more natural to say?

se16teddy

English - England
    This sounds like a very odd way to say I lived there between the ages of 10 and 20.

We do not use the past perfect in a narration in which one thing happened after another.
    I opened the door and walked in. :tick:
    I lived there for ten years, then I reached the age of 20 and moved away. :tick:

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
    This sounds like a very odd way to say I lived there between the ages of 10 and 20.

We do not use the past perfect in a narration in which one thing happened after another.
    I opened the door and walked in. :tick:
    I lived there for ten years, then I reached the age of 20 and moved away. :tick:
    yeah I see your point, my sentence has the idiomatic problem. Thanks a lot for your examples and explanation.

< Previous | Next >