I worked last summer because I wanted to buy a cool camera

Evinawer

Spanish
Hi there!
I have a problem. I don't know if the sentence is correct... :( Can you help me, please?

My idea: I worked last summer because I wanted to buy a cool camera.
But I don't know if "last summer" is correct here...

The context is I'm speaking with a friend who speak english and I comment her I worked last summer.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    It sounds fine to me, what do think might be wrong?

There is, however, an issue over what "last summer" refers to. It is now October 2007, and as summer has passed, some people may refer to the summer of 2007 as "last summer" (this year's summer, which has now passed), others may mean the summer of 2006 (last year's summer).

Evinawer

Spanish
    Oh! Okay! I understand you Matching Mole, but I refer to the 2007 summer, last summer.

Then, thank you very much! :)

I didn't know if my sentence was understandable.

Thanks again *kiss*

bibliolept

AE, Español
    If I wanted to make it clear that it was the summer of 2007, I would say "I worked this summer" or "I worked in/during the summer." Some people might think "last summer" refers to the summer of 2006.

Matching Mole

England, English
    I agree with Bibliolept, and I would say this summer, however, you have to admit the possibility that some people may mean summer 2008 when they say that! ;)

It's probably only safe to use "this/last summer" from January through to summertime!

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I agree with Bibliolept, and I would say this summer, however, you have to admit the possibility that some people may mean summer 2008 when they say that! ;)

It's probably only safe to use "this/last summer" from January through to summertime!
    I don't think it would be confusing to most when you say you "worked this summer" or "worked during/in the summer" as long as you don't say it during 2008.

< Previous | Next >