I would be most grateful if you could fax me a copy of your menu

Ian

UK - English
Please could someone kindly translate this for me:

I would be most grateful if you could fax me a copy of your menu; also could you advise me how far in advance one needs to book a table for a Friday evening.

Grazie

Ian

• Manuel_M

Maltese
    Le sarei grato se potesse mandarmi via fax una copia del menu`. Potrebbe inoltre dirmi con quanto anticipo dovrei prenotare una tavola per una sera di venerdi`?

But best wait for a native speaker, Ian.

Alfry

Italian
    Manuel_M said:
    Le sarei grato se potesse mandarmi via fax una copia del menu`. Potrebbe inoltre dirmi con quanto anticipo dovrei prenotare una tavola per una sera di venerdi`?

But best wait for a native speaker, Ian.
    Manuel, your translation is great.
    Just to make it a bit more fluent, I'd change the last part into:
    ...prenotare un tavolo il venerdì sera?

Elisa68

Italian
    Perfetto, Manuel!

Just a difference in style: con quanto anticipo dovrei prenotare una tavola:cross: per una sera di venerdi

I would say: con quanto anticipo è necessario prenotare un tavolo per un venerdi sera

Elisa:)

EDIT: Alfry, mi hai battuto tu stavolta!;)

Just a question: I believe the writer means an unspecified future Friday, not "next Friday [this week's Friday]."

Is it still correct in that case to say "un sera di veredi." If so how would you say "next Friday"? Thanks.

Alfry

Italian
    You could say
    ... un venerdì sera
    ... il venerdì sera
    ... una sera di venerdì
    meaning an unspecified future Friday.

next Friday = venerdì prossimo or questo venerdì or venerdì di questa settimana

Manuel_M

Maltese
    carrickp said:
    Just a question: I believe the writer means an unspecified future Friday, not "next Friday [this week's Friday]."

Is it still correct in that case to say "un sera di veredi." If so how would you say "next Friday"? Thanks.
    next Friday = Venerdi` prossimo.

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    carrickp said:

You are right. Alfry's il venerdì sera and Elisa's un venerdì sera both refer to an "unspecified future Friday", which is what the writer means in Ian's sentence.

To change the meaning to this coming Friday you can either simply drop the article, venerdì sera, or add (il) prossimo, la sera di venerdì prossimo/la sera del prossimo venerdì.

Elisa68

Italian
    No, but let us know!!;)
    We could start a subforum rating Italian restaurants (slow-food style!!!):D

Ian

UK - English
    Following on from my previous request could someone help me translate the following:

Thank you for you quick response. In reply to your questions - it would just be a table for two and my request for a copy of the menu was simply to get an idea of the sort of prices as restaurant prices in italy are somewhat different to those here in the UK.

Grazie

Ian

Silvia B

Italy - Italian
    Vi ringrazio per la Vs cortese risposta. In risposta alle Vs domande:
    si tratta di una tavola per due, e la mia richiesta per una copia del menu era semplicemente per avere un'idea dei prezzi, visto che i prezzi nei ristoranti italiani sono diversi da quelli qui in Inghilterra.

(btw, I think this is the first time for this restaurant that someone asks for the menu in advanced :D Is it common in England to ask for a copy of the menu?)

Bye!

Manuel_M

Maltese
    Vorrei un tavolo per due persone. Ho chiesto una copia del menu`per avere un'idea dei prezzi, visto che i prezzi nei ristoranti italiani sono alquanto diversi da quelli inglesi.

Not feeling really confident about this one, Ian....so wait for the natives.

nikkei

Italian
    Vi ringrazio per la Vostra rapida risposta. In merito alle Vostre domande, si tratta di un tavolo per due persone e la mia richiesta di una copia del menu è semplicemente per avere un'idea dei prezzi dei ristoranti in Italia poichè sono alquanto differenti da quelli inglesi.

Anyway, I think that is no correct write about a comparison of Italian restaurants prices with English one...

Ian

UK - English
    Grazie

Silvia - it wouldn't be thought of as at all odd or unusual by a restaurant in England to receive a request for the menu. If you are going to be travelling some distance to a reataurant which has been generally recommended to you it makes sense (also allows you to check out the prices to ensure that it is within your budget or not just plain overpriced.)

Nikkei - I don't see what the problem in commenting on the the difference in pricing between Italy and the UK is. In the only guide to the restaurant in question which I could find the price level was shown as $$$ in a range that went from $ to $$$$ but no indication as to the actual range of prices. This would obviously make sense to someone with knowledge of the sort of prices restaurants in this city but otherwise it's no help whatsoever and to try and compare it to say London restuarants would probably be way off too.

Silvia B

Italy - Italian
    Ian, as you can see, 2 italians had the same thought :)
    I think that, at least where I live (which is near Padova, btw :) ) this may sound as a strange request.
    Anyway, you are absolutely right, and you can ask, I am sure they will satisfy your request. Maybe, as Nikkei said, don't say that it is "because the prices in italian restaurants are different from the prices in England". Say that you just want to see them to have an idea of the kind of restaurant.

What do you think?

Ian

UK - English
    Silvia, perhaps if I said something such as ... the reason for my request for a copy of your menu is simply so that I can get an idea of price ...

How do you think that would sound to them? (and how would I translate it?)

Ian

ps How far from Padova are you?

Silvia B

Italy - Italian
    mmm....let me think....that's a bit difficult, because I have never tried something like that!
    You could ask:
    "Avrei piacere di ricevere il vostro menu in modo da poter avere un'idea della Vostra cucina e dei Vostri prezzi. Venendo dall'Inghilterra mi ritrovo a non avere altro modo per valutare se il Vostro ristorante rispecchia le mie esigenze. Vi sarei pertanto grato se poteste gentilmente accogliere la mia richiesta."

Need a translation!?

Anyway, I live in Vicenza province, which is near to Padova province. Check on the map ;)

Silvia

Italian
    Ian, as you've been told already, yours is an odd request for a restaurant. Especially if the restaurant in question is a small one and doesn't have any web site, as I suppose.

Also, I didn't know it was something common in the UK. I would have thought English people were more discreet. If someone is recommending the restaurant to you, you could ask them about the price the same way you would ask about the restaurant in general. Just my personal thought.

On a side note, if you want to have an idea of what the restaurant is like, you could ask if they have a menu fisso or alla carta. Menu fisso is usually cheaper.

nikkei

Italian
    Ian, I didn't want to criticise (?) you but I'd like only to give you an advise!
    Here in Italy isn't so usual to ask differences between prices from country to country...
    Nothing more!
    Nikkei

Silvia B

Italy - Italian
    Maybe, as a foreigner, they will understand his request.
    I think what I wrote could be appropriate...but I am sure someone will have a more appropriate phrase to express the same thought.

Bye!

Ian

UK - English
    Hi Nikkei

Don't worry, I didn't take it as criticism. I can understand why in Europe (continental Europe that is :D) you probably wouldn't think about price comparisons between countries as generally the cost of eating out is quite reasonable and fairly similiar outside of the tourist traps. You have to remember, however, that here in the UK a fairly simple meal for two in an average restaurant can easily vary between £60.00 and £120.00+ hence what might be considered expensive in Italy may seem quite reasonable to a Brit!

< Previous | Next >