I would go for 8-2 timing. / I would pick up 8-2 timing

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
I contacted a school principal for the job and requested if he can hire me for physics. He agreed. Later I asked about the salary. He gave me two options: 1) If you teach from 9 am to 12 pm, we will pay you 15K. 2) If you teach from 8 am to 2 pm (i.e. the whole working day), we will pay you 30K.
I replied:
I would go for 8-2 timing. / I would pick up 8-2 timing.

Is my reply natural? If not, how would you say this?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    No. Not at all. But there are lots of other ways you can say it, e.g.

I’d prefer to work from 8 ’til 2. / I would prefer the 8 am to 2 pm option / I’d like my hours to be 8 am to 2 pm

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Go for" is slang, so you shouldn't use it when talking to a new employer. "Pick up" doesn't make sense here.

You want to say "choose". To be indirect (for politeness) you can "prefer" one, or just say "I would like" one.

(cross-posted, but I agree with #2)

Edit: oh, I just realized that "pick" is a synonym for "choose". So you meant "I will pick the 8-2 schedule.", which is fine.

"Pick up" is a phrasal verb, with a different meaning than "pick". "Pick up" means to take something into your hand, that you were not holding before.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Thank you so much
    May I please ask why "8-2 timing" isn't correct? How would you use "timing" then?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I suggested "schedule" instead of "timing". Teaching 8am to 2pm is a "schedule".

The noun "a timing" never means "a schedule".

Uncle Jack

British English
    I would keep the original wording of the offer; it is an excellent way to ensure you use the same terminology, degree of formality and so on that the person making the offer uses:
    I would prefer to teach from 8 am to 2 pm.​

Barque

Tamil
    I would go for 8-2 timing. / I would pick up 8-2 timing.
    It sounds to me as if you're doing something that's very common among English speakers in Indian cities nowadays and possibly in Pakistan too - using "would" instead of "will". Assuming the rest of the sentences are all right (don't misunderstand me, they aren't), I'd expect to hear you say something more.
    I'd go for 8-2 timing, but...
    I'd pick up 8-2 timing, if...

< Previous | Next >